Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I request permission to use access_aod?

ANSWERED

Hi all,

I developed a clock face and had Always-On-Display functionality implemented.

I followed the guidelines and I can confirm pixel usage is at maximum 8.4%, at minimum 1.6%, and typically less than 5%. Also, I lower the opacity to reduce brightness during AOD.

When I submitted my clockface for review, I had information in the description about always on display, and a screenshot, and I left a note for reviewers stating that I was unable to upload the an .fba file with the access_aod permission, so I requested for permission to use this permission. My clockface was approved, so I published it and then tried to upload a new .fba with access_aod permission, but I am still not allowed.

I understand it's not a widely allowed permission and needs to be requested to use. How can I request permission to use AOD on my clockface? Thanks.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately we haven't been able to grant this permission to additional developers due to the complexity surrounding the app review process. If this situation changes we will announce via the developer blog.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
27 REPLIES 27

Unfortunately we haven't been able to grant this permission to additional developers due to the complexity surrounding the app review process. If this situation changes we will announce via the developer blog.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's disappointing. I spent time developing AOD only to find out I can't use it. Perhaps this limitation warrants its own announcement/clarification via the developer blog? So basically we shouldn't bother developing AOD functionality as it's unlikely to be allowed any time soon?

Are developers who already have the permission still allowed to use it for new clock faces? Doesn't that give an advantage to a limited group of developers who can implement a feature that most other developers can't use? The gallery emphasises AOD with its own category, but only a select few developers can use it.

Best Answer

I agree with Kyouki here.

The feature has been added in SDK 4.1(?) and currently we're on SDK 6.0.

I have developed a few clocks in the past year and people are requesting AOD on a regular basis now.

I would like to be able to implement this requested feature.

When might we expect an update to these permissions?

Best Answer

I would like to second that.

I am also currently developing a watch face and would like to request the aod permission. Surely the situation has changed since March?

@JonFitbit? I have been working on my clockface since December 2020 and it would be really sad not being able to use a feature that is expected by users.

Best Answer

This is indeed pretty disappointing. All I want is to create a clockface with AOD for personal use but I can't even do that.

Best Answer

Fitbit really needs to stop advertising these watches as having an Always On Display. I essentially feel scammed out of my money since my watch can't do the one thing I bought it to do. It has been two years!!

Best Answer

We are now 6 months later ~ 2 years after the feature became available and there is still no way to develop a AOD enabled Watchface I can find.

Can we get this sorted out please and made available for all developers to use? I think abusing the AOD and burning through battery will self-regulate in the community. Make the pixel on percentage reasonable as a criteria i.e. 25% and ship it. That should be easy to gauge and review.

Mike

Best Answer

Hello,

Any news about this point please?

Micka

Best Answer

I am also very curious whether this is still on the table for the Fitbit team.

A quick workaround would be to give devs the option to run the aod on their own device, acknowledging and taking responsibility for any hardware damage.

Just out of curiosity, whats the big "risk" Fitbit is so worried about? Is it just having a high pixel on ratio (because the default aod clock is way over what my clockface has) and update frequency or ar their other concerns?

Regards and have a good one,

Jorick

Best Answer

Sorry, no updates on this. The review process is too intensive to extend further at this time. If the situation changes, we will notify via the developer blog.

As for the risks, it's not just OPR sadly, as that is easy to calculate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for taking the time to respond @JonFitbit, it really helps to give us some clarity about the situation

So aside from not including more developers in the current procedure, are there plans for changing/automating the AOD access procedure? Or are there plans for a new SDK and will a 'safe' AOD API be part of this?

Thanks again

Best Answer

Automation is the ultimate goal, or at least giving the reviewers enough velocity to make extending it to more developers a viable option.

Best Answer
0 Votes
mfnCK wrote:

Fitbit really needs to stop advertising these watches as having an Always On Display. I essentially feel scammed out of my money since my watch can't do the one thing I bought it to do. It has been two years!!

Yep, I feel scammed too. 😞

I using my own custom watchface from 5+ years (starting on full Android watches) and I switched to Fitbit because it delude its AOD functionality.

And... I even can't install my AOD watchface for personal use.

Best Answer

Hi @McFIT_Design - you should be able to install it for personal use.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_  False!

This is not true. You are wrong.

When I try to sideload clockface with AOD to my own watch for personal use the this error in editor is displayed:

McFIT_Design_0-1657730504025.png

Best Answer

@McFIT_Design  - try this link 

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_ wrote:

@McFIT_Design  - try this link 

And what?

Do you promote your watchfaces here?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@McFIT_Design wrote:
mfnCK wrote:

Yep, I feel scammed too. 😞

I using my own custom watchface from 5+ years (starting on full Android watches) and I switched to Fitbit because it delude its AOD functionality.

And... I even can't install my AOD watchface for personal use.

Same for me, I was weighing which smartwatch to buy and designing my own clock faces was a big part of my decision. AOD being advertised as a feature for fitbit made me excited to design clocks for fitbit. I can't believe a company of fitbit's size can't offer a feature they promised and can't figure out the issues they are having with it after years! 🙄

Best Answer

Indeed.

But I worked on 3rd-party API - SemiAOD API for Fitbit.

I'll publish it in few weeks on Github.

I made already my own watchface which block AOD so watchface is visible all the time.

Having own watchface all the time is great! I like it very much.

I still working on some power optimizations. But Fitbit SDK is very limited - it is not like Android or iOS.

In fact these are still health bands, not real smartwatches like others on the market.

Of course there are some disadvantages of SemiAOD in comparison to bulit-in AOD:

- much shorter battery time (2 days instead of 6 days with built-in AOD)

- screen is susceptible to touching

But SemiAOD API will have some advantages:

- screen brightness is adjusted to ambient light (built-in AOD is always in darkest possible mode and is useless outdoors or in sunlight)

- could display realtime sensors data

- could display with clock.granularity at seconds 

- and last but not least - you can have own watchface all the time!

- and is free for all, not only for mutual admiration clique.

Best Answer