Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I publish a watchface if I don't own a FitBit?

Hi,

I created a watchface using the simulator and I'd like to publish it but I don't own a FitBit so I can/t log into the App Gallery.

Is there a way to publish my watchface anyway so people who own a watch can try it and let me know what they think?

Thanks,

Olivier

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

You don't need a watch to access the app store for publishing (https://gam.fitbit.com/apps). You do need a Fitbit account though.

Once you upload it you can send a direct link to anyone who wants to try it without actually publicly publishing it.

However, it's not usually a good idea to rely on emulators/simulators and expecting them to be identical to actual hardware, there are usually some differences.

Best Answer

This is the error I get when I log into the Gallery:

"You need to have a Fitbit watch paired to your Fitbit account before you can submit your app for distribution. Please associate your watch to this account and try again."

Regards,

Olivier

Best Answer
0 Votes

Completely agree with allan175 - not everything that works in the simulator works on actual Fitbit hardware.

As an example, using 'mask' elements to mask text in SVG appear to render fine in the Simulator, but not on a Fitbit Versa (not sure about Ionic as I don't own one).

There are also performance issues to concern yourself with when running on actual Fitbit hardware. i.e. something that runs completely smoothly in the simulator won't necessarily run smoothly on the hardware itself.

So, always best to test on real hardware before making public!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@opasco wrote:

This is the error I get when I log into the Gallery:

"You need to have a Fitbit watch paired to your Fitbit account before you can submit your app for distribution. Please associate your watch to this account and try again."

Regards,

Olivier

That's interesting, I didn't realise you needed a watch paired!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@allan175 wrote:

That's interesting, I didn't realise you needed a watch paired!

Yeah, you need a Fitbit OS device linked to your account for security reasons.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's disappointing...

Olivier

Best Answer

Is it also possible to unlink it from the account? Since I have the problem that my watch is still linked to the account of my girlfriend and I can´t link it to my developer account. 

See also my post here: 2900534

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeh, this is annoying. I ported 2 Pebble watchfaces I made to Fitbit, and there's no way for my girlfriend to install them on her fitbit (I can't publish, and I don't want to take over her account.) This is a totally anti-user policy, and Fitbit is just losing free watchfaces with this requirement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Fitbit Blaze paired with my account, but I still have this message: "You need to have a Fitbit watch paired to your Fitbit account before you can submit your app for distribution. Please associate your watch to this account and try again.". What can I do? Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can't develop apps for Blaze. You need a watch that runs Fitbit OS: Ionic or Versa family.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes