Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How stable is the beta?

ANSWERED

I've read a few post about heart rate sensor and notification issues. I'm eager to play around with development of apps. First and foremost, I want a functioning fitness tracker.

So far I've signed up and my android app has the 1.1 update available. I'm going to hold from hitting that update, if the build needs to mature.

If tracking and usage is still reasonable, I don't mind a few minor bugs in tracking and issues with work arounds, to get coding.

I know it's beta software and there will be issues. Just looking for a general "feeling" of stability and usability, from those running it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Definitely some bugs but since I don't have a consumer version of the ionic, I can't really tell you if the beta is buggier. However, reading over the ionic forums show that it's probably about the same. I haven't had any bugs that completely ruined the experience. The dev beta is stable enough for daily use and developing. 

YOU CAN make a new account and sign up for dev beta on that then you keep your main account on the consumer version. I would recommend doing that, and I wish I had done it.  Only caveat of that is that switching between the two account will take you 30-50 minutes because of the slowww firmware flashing. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

I've only had it installed nearly a day but can't tell any difference from the version it came with.

Best Answer

Definitely some bugs but since I don't have a consumer version of the ionic, I can't really tell you if the beta is buggier. However, reading over the ionic forums show that it's probably about the same. I haven't had any bugs that completely ruined the experience. The dev beta is stable enough for daily use and developing. 

YOU CAN make a new account and sign up for dev beta on that then you keep your main account on the consumer version. I would recommend doing that, and I wish I had done it.  Only caveat of that is that switching between the two account will take you 30-50 minutes because of the slowww firmware flashing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Little late for that. I've already signed up as a dev with my main account, I've only not yet flashed my ionic with the beta.

Seems fine, from what I read, other than the notifications crashing the exercise app.

Maybe I'll wait for beta 3...

Best Answer

Also, my Ionic registered 40,000 steps while I was sitting at a computer all day. Keep that in mind 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WauloK wrote:

Also, my Ionic registered 40,000 steps while I was sitting at a computer all day. Keep that in mind 🙂

Furious typing? It might be worth contacting support for that one, using the Fitbit mobile app.

Best Answer

The mobile app contact points me to Twitter to message them. Is that what you mean?

Also, GMail notifications do not work with the beta for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow thats a lot of steps, but I got 5000 watching a movie last week on
the release firmware. Step counting has some issues. So it may not be the beta.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interestingly, GMail notifications started working again the last couple of days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it was a phone app fix?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The beta has been very stable for me, for a week now. I've had no major issues, despite trying most of the features and deploying and testing a couple of sample apps to the watch. Step counting has been spot-on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nah not phone app fix. It's stopped again.

Best Answer
0 Votes