Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I duplicate an app with minor modifications

ANSWERED

Hello all,

I downloaded an app from GitHub and using Fitbit studio got it on my Fitbit ionic. worked just fine. Now I want to make some modifications to this app (color and text) and uploaded to my Fitbit ionic as ANOTHER app. So I started a new project in Fitbit studio, copy-pasted all the same files from the previous ones with my modifications. the problem is that the new app overwrites the previous. I want to have both apps on my Fitbit. how can this be done? does it have anything to do with the App UUID? Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

best regards,

SNK

SN
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You've pretty much nailed it.

appUUIDs need to be unique.

I don't know exactly how to effect this in studio, but I think it would involve getting access to package.json (perhaps by renaming the file so it becomes editable as text), and deleting the appUUID attribute. I suspect studio would automatically create and assign a new (unique) UUID when it tries to rebuild.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

You've pretty much nailed it.

appUUIDs need to be unique.

I don't know exactly how to effect this in studio, but I think it would involve getting access to package.json (perhaps by renaming the file so it becomes editable as text), and deleting the appUUID attribute. I suspect studio would automatically create and assign a new (unique) UUID when it tries to rebuild.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thank u so much for a super fast reply, worked like a charm. I simply deleted the UUID attribute in the package.js saved it dumped it back in the studio and the studio created a new one and now I have two apps with the same stuff but different display structures so I can compare. Just a note: Initially the front logo (image didn't pop up), I had to restart my Fitbit device, then it worked fine (didn't need to do that for the first app, only with the newly created UUID app). Thanks again,

cheers

SNK

SN
Best Answer

No worries.

That logo (icon) problem is a consequence of caching on the watch. It usually corrects itself automatically after a while, but your solution guarantees it. 🙂

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer