Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set device background app wake-intervals

Hi all, I'm looking to create a simple application that allows you to set reminders for yourself, however I can't find a way to wake the app in the background to trigger alarms or perform background operations in general.

I have tried the Clock API, but as documented it is automatically disabled once the display is off and the companion app cannot trigger the device app to open even with its run_background WakeInterval functionality (and it would also fail to do so if it is out of range of the device).

Other posts on this forum suggest disabling appTimeoutEnabled to prevent the automatic closing after 2 minutes of inactivity, but that still requires the app to be left open.

Is this a general feature that the device does not support background apps or is there something I'm missing and if it is not supported at the moment are there any plans to bring this functionality to developers?

Many thanks,

Martin

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

It's not possible to create an app that runs in the background. Only one clockface or app can be running at any one time.

However, clockfaces/apps are not automatically closed when the display goes off. You won't get ontick(), but you can still use setInterval(), etc.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can try using App Timeout API, like I did in my project https://medium.com/@sasojakljevic/designing-building-a-fitbit-smartwatch-app-4e07def03121

Best Answer
0 Votes