Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Independent Color Selection for Time and Date

ANSWERED

My watch face already has color selection for all text and a photo picker, but I'm trying to make it where the colors for time and date are independently selectable on my watch face. Nothing but the default background image I have set functions and I receive errors when loading my clock face to Fitbit OS Simulator

I've provided the code for my watch and a screen shot of the error in GitHub.

https://github.com/SuperStevo86/Clock-Only-Beta-export

Please help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SuperStevo86 I have similar watch face which I've open sourced. Take a look at how I've done the same thing, it might be more helpful than piecemeal debugging 🙂

https://github.com/pmccrthy/fitbit-digital-stats 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
33 REPLIES 33
SuperStevo86 doesn’t have any public repositories yet.
Community Council MemberMario Dings | Rotterdam NL
Fitbit: Versa, Versa2, Sense. (Versa light) - Phone: Android. - Developer clockfaces.(Nederlands)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Try This link, I don't know if it helps. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

The repository has been updated to be public.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's basically how I have the feature set up already, but instead of using <colorselect> in settings, I use <select>. When I code the clock face for all text elements to be selectable with the same selection, it works fine, but when I try to make the time and date color selections independent, that's when I get issues with the clock face.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Went trough your code on github and found this:

// Listen for the onmessage event

messaging.peerSocket.onmessage = evt => {
console.log(evt) ; // I added this  code
applyTheme(evt.data.font);}
console.log(evt) ; // I added this  code
applyIcon(evt.data.icon);}

Now tell me, why 2 times. I don't understand and maybe the interpreter doesn't either.

You get only 1 message.

so investigate the event and then execute the desired function. 

I hope it will get you further. 

Fitbit: Versa, Versa2, Sense. (Versa light) - Phone: Android. - Developer clockfaces.(Nederlands)
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried it like this:

if (evt.key === "font") {
applyTheme(evt.data.font);}
if (evt.key === "icon") {
applyIcon(evt.data.icon);}
}

and like this

applyTheme(evt.data.font);
applyIcon(evt.data.icon);
}

as well, to no avail. I've also tried adding your ammended code. No results. Still get the same error that is in the screenshot posted on GitHub.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe try the following, I can't be sure without digging deeper into your code, but it looks similar to what I have to do.

if (evt.data.key === "font") {
applyTheme(evt.data.value);}
if (evt.data.key === "icon") {
applyIcon(evt.data.value);}
}

This can check the evt.data.key and use the corresponding evt.data.value for your applyTheme() or applyIcon() as needed.

You may also need to change how you're sending the data in order for this to work. If you look at the Settings Guide you will see that sendValue() arranges the data to be sent as a key:value pair, evt.data.key and evt.data.value.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just tried the suggestion you provided @pmccrthy but it still doesn't work. I get the same error. I tried want the web page says as well and still doesn't work the way I want it. I can't get the time color and date color to change independent of each other rewriting the code based on the Fitbit Settings Guide.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your GUI:

<svg class="background">
<image href="images/image placeholder versa.png" fill="white" load="sync" />
<image id="imageBackground" />
<text id="time" class="foreground" />
<text id="ampm" class="foreground" />
<text id="date" class="foreground" />
</svg>

Your APP:

let items = document.getElementsByClassName("icon");

There are no .getElementsByClassName("icon"), 

The only classNames are "foreground" and "background".

This is because your naming suggests something else. And that is confusing.

I dont get your error screenshot, but I should. Because theres no item with class "font" and therefore "undefined". 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're pulling that information from the index~300x300.gui file which is for Versa family. When I develop a clock face, I develop it for the Ionic then adapt to the Versa family. I have not adapted the features that i'm working on to the Versa family yet because the features aren't working on the Ionic. This is the index.gui file for the Ionic which i'm getting all these issues on still.

<svg class="background">
<image href="images/image placeholder ionic.png" fill="white" load="sync" />
<image id="imageBackground" />
<text id="time" class="font" />
<text id="ampm" class="font" />
<text id="date" class="icon" />
</svg>

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've made some changes to the code that seem to make the clock face display now. The imagePicker is working correctly but when selecting color options, those changes don't apply to the corresponding element on the clock face. In the console on Fitbit Studio, I receive no errors when selecting the new color options I'm trying to apply to the clock face.

I've updated the GitHub repository to reflect the changes I made and I've adapted the features I'm trying to develop to the Versa series watches as well, as some who are helping seem to be using the Versa series instead of the Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In your companion code, you only seem to be sending the value. The evt.key doesn't seem to be part of the data being sent. Without sending the key as well, evt.data.key is probably null or undefined and this code IMO can never work:

if (evt.data.key === "font") {
applyTheme(evt.data.font)}
if (evt.data.key === "icon") {
applyTheme(evt.data.icon)}
}

Try dumping the contents of the evt that the onmessage receives to the console and check that it's sending values the if statement can work with. E.g. console.log(evt.data.value, evt.data.key) etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've posted a screenshot of the error, in GitHub, I get after adding the console.log code to my companion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Assuming you used console.log(evt.data.key) (I don't see it in your code) the screenshot means that the evt.data.key is undefined, in other words does not exist.

You need to define this and send it along with the value from your companion app. Take a look at the settings guide that Krish_2009 and I linked to previously for an example of how to do this: https://dev.fitbit.com/build/guides/settings/#settings-in-action

In particular the function sendValue(key, val) shows how to create key:value pair to be sent.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The settings in action guide is confusing because it uses "getElementById" in the example, not "getElementByClassName" which is what i'm using.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've made some more changes, kind of going backwards to a previous state and as of this posting, when I change the color of the 2 time elements (time and am/pm), it seems that it is trying to change an element that is undefined but the errors reference the class for the date elements that I want to change separately while at the same time not being able to change the date elements with the errors referencing the same class definitions in app/index.js I don't know why the two classes or elements aren't being separated.

I've updated my GitHub repository with the updated code.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've also uploaded a video to the link below explaining the errors that I am getting and the behavior I want from the features that I'm trying to add.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuYV54osP4_RwN1cH-ibTGeGDdiOVg?e=SK1X1k

Best Answer
0 Votes

Took a quick look at your video. You have two typos on lines 81 and 84. Remove the ';' at the end of the if() statement. This will cause the if() to evaulate on its own and then the following statement will execute regardless of and independent of the results of the if().

You have:

if (evt.key === "font"); {...

Should be:

if (evt.key === "font") {...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Removing the semi-colons causes the functionality of the color picker to stop working all together.

Best Answer
0 Votes