Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry about step count and hear rate data

Dear all,

I have two questions regarding step count and heart rate data. 

Is it true that step count can give zeros even though one is not wearing the device?  basically, the step count will have always have data and timestamps as long as the device is not shut down?

Is it true that there is non-zero step count, while there is no heart rate data at that moment? e.g. the device may be put in the pocket when people are walking?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

1. Values that are not available on the device or currently unknown are undefined. So you should do something like `count = value || 0;`

2. Yes, you could have a step count without heart rate data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jon,

In what circumstance does Fitbit give step count data without heart rate data?  

Shaoxiong

Best Answer
0 Votes

The API will return the step count if the device is off wrist. We're talking about the API, not whether the device is counting steps or not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. As I am new to the Fitbit data, I still need your help in understanding this problem further.

1) What do you mean by 'count = value || 0'

2) Just curious, if the device is off wrist, will there be step count values on the device?  if there are values on the device that is off wrist, is it that the device still count steps therefore return the true step count in API? 

3) For heart rate, I understand that API return nothing once the device is off wrist? Is this correct?

Best Answer
0 Votes