Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic HR Heart Rate Chest Strap Compatibility

Hi,

Does anyone plan to develop an application for the Ionic that allows users to wear a heart rate chest strap (like the ones below) and stream heart rate data to the Ionic? There is a big difference in terms of accuracy and Fitbit does not seem to want to develop something like this anytime soon.

Here is an article covering why it would be good to be able to connect a HR chest strap: https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/chest-strap-vs-wristband-heart-rate-monitors 

Polar H7

https://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/accessories/H7_heart_rate_sensor

Wahoo TICKR

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/heart-rate-monitors/wahoo-tickr-heart-rate-strap

Would anyone be looking to develop something like this for the Ionic?

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

YES PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!

Best Answer

I would love to see that app. Pairing with a chest strap is high on my Ionic wish list.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Okay listen it really surpises me that "out of the chute" Fitbit doesn't support/allow for Bluetooth pairing with such things as HR Straps, bike cadence, wahoo kicker type Bluetooth trainers when they are wanting to go head to head against the likes of Garmin and others as a fitness watch. I switched over to the Ionic from my Garmin HR, because in many ways I think it's the watch to beat ....in the long run. BUT without support for 3rd party Bluetooth pairing (a troubling fact I didn't realize myself until tonight) you're going to find it hard to convience others to switch. And that's the goal, no? So "yes" please support 3rd party Bluetooth pairing and soon.

Best Answer

Yes! A significant advantage.

Best Answer

I would like to see that option as well. The chest strap connectivity is crucial for certain workouts and would influence my decision to keep the Ionic.

Best Answer
Agreed. I just can’t figure out what Fitbit is doing here. It makes no sense. This is only hurting them and their sales.
Best Answer

if the fitbit could do this... or if there is a trick like using the stravas (pairing watch to stravas, and pairing chest strap to stravas, then somehow stravas inputting the chest strap data into ionic over-riding the ionics input data for that same time used).  ill but fitbit, today!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, if you look at other posts with desires and improvement to the Ionic, there is no chance they're doing anything different or accommodating your needs. Not device wise or application wise. Their products are the way they are and the company likes it that way, regardless of what the consumer believes... I have an Ionic and lost hope with any of these types of improvements. They just don't care... The ionic was marketed as coming with O2 sensor capability... scratch that... They changed their mind after they released it. People have commented about it and they simply don't care. It never happened...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought the ionic recently before reading the forum on this

i have tried all the advice and concluded that optical sensors only work accurately when resting. I’m going to dump it for a garmin which will sync to a strap. Ionic is not for runners a waste of 200 quid

Best Answer

Given the age of the thread and complete lack of interest On the part of Fitbit I think the company has now passed the stage at which customers are important and ‘lost the pulse’ pun intended.  I am getting an oura

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a versa 2 and obviously the same problem exists. I will dump the versa for my polar 430 or Garmin for workouts where HR is crucial info. Too bad they don’t listen

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes,I am also getting a bit frustrated with FitBit always selling "the next big thing" and not upgrading their existing technology. As example, just try to find info about Ionic.   Very frustrated!  I get that the older products MIGHT not have the sensors needed, but if the hardware is there in the older products, then all that likely is needed is software adjustment....guess that is not the direction that makes them money though.  ARG!   Wish they would rethink that a bit as us folks who are not early adapters make up a large market share.  Lessons learned to the wise.   

Best Answer
0 Votes