Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic: Unable to install an app from a private link

ANSWERED

Hey!

I just started developing for Fitbit and wanted to play around with some test apps. Since I don't think there is a way to install more than one app using Fitbit Studio, I published an app privately. It worked when I built it and synced using Fitbit Studio, but now I'm unable to install it.

Would be great to figure this out soon! Not sure what I'm missing.

Expected behaviour

When I click the link to the app, it opens the Fitbit app on my phone and opens the page for the app. From there, I can click the Install button and the process succeeds - the app is available on my device and is listed in the list of installed apps in the Fitbit app on my phone.

Actual behaviour

When I click the link to the app, it opens the FitBit app on my phone and opens the page for the app. When I click the Install button, it initially reacts, but then goes back to the initial state. The app is not installed on device and is not listed in the list of installed apps in the Fitbit app on my phone.

Additional info

build tool: Fitbit Studio (I was developing in it and exported the `.fba` file from it)

app link: https://gam.fitbit.com/gallery/app/61aef497-664c-4a0c-ae02-13659582445a

device: Ionic, version 33.1.30

mobile device: iPhone 6S, iOS 12

package.json:

{
  "fitbit": {
    "appUUID": "61aef497-664c-4a0c-ae02-13659582445a",
    "appType": "app",
    "appDisplayName": "Timespend",
    "iconFile": "resources/icon.png",
    "wipeColor": "#607d8b",
    "requestedPermissions": [],
    "buildTargets": [
      "higgs",
      "meson"
    ],
    "i18n": {
      "en": {
        "name": "Timespend"
      }
    }
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "@fitbit/sdk": "~3.0.0"
  }
}

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Same issue here with one of my own clock faces I just tried to privately publish.... Hit install and the red bar just goes back and forth back and forth. Never loads.

Update....... After waiting 33 minutes and nothing I connected the watch to Developer Bridge via Settings and it loaded immediately. Now was it the 33 minute wait or was it being connected to the Developer Bridge??? All I know is its working. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Sideloaded apps and apps installed via the gallery are handled slightly differently. You probably just need to uninstall the sideloaded version first.

To uninstall a sideloaded app, go to the Developer Menu in the Fitbit mobile app and delete the app there.

I

Best Answer

I had another app sideloaded and uninstalled it just in case, but it didn't help. I currently don't have any apps sideloaded and am still unable to install the privately published app.

Best Answer

Same issue here with one of my own clock faces I just tried to privately publish.... Hit install and the red bar just goes back and forth back and forth. Never loads.

Update....... After waiting 33 minutes and nothing I connected the watch to Developer Bridge via Settings and it loaded immediately. Now was it the 33 minute wait or was it being connected to the Developer Bridge??? All I know is its working. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That worked! Thank you.

1. I connected to Developer Bridge on the watch.

2. Opened the Fitbit app on the phone and used the link to install. It didn't work.

3. Disconnected the Developer Bridge. Suddenly it installed immediately.

Is it documented somewhere? This behaviour is somewhat confusing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I't was just try this and try that till I was able to make it work. Never read anything any where on it. After the initial install each revision on the phone shows "Update" for that app/clockface and loads like it should without steps 1 2 3.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It appears that you must have a development account to be able to load from the private link.

I tried sending multiple links to a friend and they could not load until they created a development account.

Is there anyway to create a private link that does not require a developer account being established before they can load?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jerry-Veal wrote:

It appears that you must have a development account to be able to load from the private link.

I tried sending multiple links to a friend and they could not load until they created a development account.

Is there anyway to create a private link that does not require a developer account being established before they can load?

Anyone can install from a gam link. They must have done something else, like updated the version of device firmware, or mobile app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Had another observation.

The private link when opened from Skype won't launch the Fitbit mobile app to proceed with installation. However, when the link is opened from an email or pasting the link to a mobile browser on the mobile phone, it launches the Fitbit mobile app successfully and then you can proceed with installation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JonFitbit wrote:

Sideloaded apps and apps installed via the gallery are handled slightly differently. You probably just need to uninstall the sideloaded version first.

I had same problem as OP, exactly as described, and doing this did solve the issue for me. Deleted the sideloaded version of the app (through my phone) and tried the install again, and it worked.

As a side note, the link to my private app also did not work when clicked through the Discord app on my phone, it had to be copy-pasted into my phone's web browser in order to load. In case anyone has that issue as well.

Best Answer