Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max sampling rate of heart rate sensor of Ionic?

As i go through the codes from the sdk-hr-meter example from https://github.com/Fitbit/sdk-hr-meter/blob/master/app/index.js

It is updating the screen with a rate of 2Hz (0.5s), may i infer that the max heart rate sampling rate from HeartRateSensor() API of Ionic/Fitbit Os will be also 2Hz? Can you controll the sampling rate with the API? What's the max sampling rate i can get from this api?

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Just find the Sensors API doc: https://dev.fitbit.com/guides/sensors/heart-rate/ and https://dev.fitbit.com/reference/device-api/sensors/#sensorreading , which indicates a reading of hr with 10Hz or 30Hz also possible, but still it would be great to know what's the limit of the sensor hardware of Ionic.

Best Answer

Does anyone know what type of Heart Rate data comes through the Sensors API? Is it averaged/ aggregated Heart Rate, Beat-to-Beat Interval (RRi or BBi) displaying the time between each successive heart beat, or something else?

Any samples of the data would be fantastic to see!?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bond-JamesBond wrote:

Does anyone know what type of Heart Rate data comes through the Sensors API? Is it averaged/ aggregated Heart Rate, Beat-to-Beat Interval (RRi or BBi) displaying the time between each successive heart beat, or something else?

Any samples of the data would be fantastic to see!?

I would like to know this too. Has anyone got an answer?

Best Answer
0 Votes

A little late seeing this but here is an example of what I download from a 3rd party source for one minute of my sleeping from my Ionic.  Over 24 hours it averages 24 HR points/minute.  Typical 35000 plots/day

hr data 25jan18.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

According to my experience, higher rate of grabbing heart rate is helpless and even with side effects of in inaccurate read out and power consumption.

I even experience hardware or firmware level failure during my test while grabbing data on brust mode. (which was already deleted under current firmware)

I end up with these way to balance the accuracy, power consumption and response:

start up the default heart rate call back
  average every 20 seconds as current output
  but double confirm of all read out which is 30% changed by second and third reading

I am to release my app named Heartbeat after power comsumption test under coming Ionic firmware upgrade.

hope it helps

heart-screenshot.pngheart-screenshot (99).png

Best Answer

I would like the ability to capture every heart beat in a sample size of say five mintues. I would then be looking at time (ms) between beats to calculate Heart Rate Variability HRV

Best Answer

Can HRV shown with real time data?

Thanks.

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

For those looking to measure heart rate variability (HRV) I just uploaded eHeart Rate Variability clockface to the gallery.  It calculates SDRR (not SDNN  because it doesn't filter abnormal beats), RMSSD, and pNN50 in real-time in 1 minute increments.  It is based on HR in place of RR intervals which is not ideal. 

To Fitbit: is there a way to access RR intervals?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mark2018 wrote:

Can HRV shown with real time data?

Thanks.

For those looking to measure heart rate variability (HRV) I just uploaded eHeart Rate Variability clockface to the gallery.  It calculates SDRR (not SDNN  because it doesn't filter abnormal beats), RMSSD, and pNN50 in real-time in 1 minute increments.  It is based on HR in place of RR intervals which is not ideal. 

To Fitbit: is there a way to access RR intervals?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dragonBTV wrote:

According to my experience, higher rate of grabbing heart rate is helpless and even with side effects of in inaccurate read out and power consumption.

I even experience hardware or firmware level failure during my test while grabbing data on brust mode. (which was already deleted under current firmware)

I end up with these way to balance the accuracy, power consumption and response:

start up the default heart rate call back
  average every 20 seconds as current output
  but double confirm of all read out which is 30% changed by second and third reading

I am to release my app named Heartbeat after power comsumption test under coming Ionic firmware upgrade.

hope it helps

heart-screenshot.pngheart-screenshot (99).png

@dragonBTV Are you using the batch mode or have you set a timeout/interval to sample every 20 seconds? I am trying to get one HR reading per minute, and the min frequency that it seems I can set it to is 1, as in once per second (https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/device-api/sensors/#interface-sensoroptions). 

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Best Answer
0 Votes