Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neverending Clockface Install

ANSWERED

I'm sorry if this has already been answered here but I really couldn't find a solution. 

I wrote a clockface with the intention of myself and one other person using it. It sideloads fine and works as expected. I published the app to the GAM and shared the private link with that person. For both of us, after selecting to grant permission to the app it will just install indefinitely with the loading bar going back and forth. For me it does the same behavior with and without the app sideloaded and with or without the debug bridge connected. I've tried with a 4.0 build and a 4.1 build. Again, both sideload fine but neither will install through the GAM link. The second person doesn't have developer options enabled at all. 

I'm a total novice to fitbit developing so I won't be surprised if I've missed something or done something wrong but as far as I can tell I've followed all of the published instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I appreciate the replies I got as they gave me some things to try and good advice. While I was doing some troubleshooting I turned off support for devices besides versa two and that build installed immediately on both of our devices. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a misunderstanding on my part but it seems as though the problem is solved

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I suspect you've encountered this bug.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

@foxbrian wrote:

I'm sorry if this has already been answered here but I really couldn't find a solution. 

I wrote a clockface with the intention of myself and one other person using it. It sideloads fine and works as expected. I published the app to the GAM and shared the private link with that person. For both of us, after selecting to grant permission to the app it will just install indefinitely with the loading bar going back and forth. For me it does the same behavior with and without the app sideloaded and with or without the debug bridge connected. I've tried with a 4.0 build and a 4.1 build. Again, both sideload fine but neither will install through the GAM link. The second person doesn't have developer options enabled at all. 

I'm a total novice to fitbit developing so I won't be surprised if I've missed something or done something wrong but as far as I can tell I've followed all of the published instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

My issue with this was apparently the conflict between a sideloaded app with the same ID as a loaded or loading GAM app.

My solution was to generate an alternate UUID for a beta version of the package.json file with a slightly altered app name. I label the other version of the file named package_alpha.json or package_beta.json, depending on which version is currently active.

For example I develop ILuvChrono using the ILuvChrono_BT app name with the beta UUID, sideloading as needed, but I copy the alpha version into place with the alpha UUID before building and updating the GAM revision.This approach has also allowed me to pre-release corrected code to customers prior to the Fitbit review of the production version being completed.

I have not had the loading issue since I started doing this, but I have previously been reduced to the state where one has to reboot, reload, and restart... multiple times... while standing in a field.

Another issue to be aware of is that the developer link loads apps quite quickly using wifi, while GAM uses bluetooth. A GAM load can take considerably longer, especially if you have a resource intensive app.

Also, note that every file in your resource directory is going to be downloaded; it is not a good place for work-in-progress media files. It is good practice to occasionally rename your app.fba to app.zip and open the resulting zip file to see what you are actually downloading. It can be surprising.

Regards,

Reign

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate the replies I got as they gave me some things to try and good advice. While I was doing some troubleshooting I turned off support for devices besides versa two and that build installed immediately on both of our devices. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a misunderstanding on my part but it seems as though the problem is solved

Best Answer
0 Votes