Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No tutorials yet?

There aren't many apps for Versa besides the ones built-in. The few that do exist are mostly crap. I want to write my own to fill the gap, but I don't have an eternity to learn everything by trial and error. When are the tutorials going to be published? When are you going to publish the code for the real apps, not a "display a number in a box" crap?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, 

Welcome the community. Just a quick look shows that there are over 130+ apps tagged for the Versa in the gallery as I just checked and quickly counted. 

Regarding tutorials, the reference webpage provides excellent documentation about how to add device data into the app and make web calls etc.

https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/

The fitbit discord is also a great resource as many developer are willing to help you, and from experience, are willing to help someone who is a complete novice (like me) with even the simplest questions. I have yet to have wait too long for someone to come along and help me there.

Also the fitbit Open Source Github has some excellent projects for those who learn by looking (like me).

https://github.com/Fitbit/ossapps

Hope you find what you are looking for. 

Best Answer

I don't know how you count so many apps, when I look for fitness related apps I get the same handful of apps that were there months ago. 

Do you really think the documentation is excellent? Would I be so frustrated if it were?

Do you know that the app skeletons generated for a new project don't even compile?

If you're happy with a small community of hackers who enjoy figuring out things on their own, then you have all the documentation you need. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi again,

I simply counted apps tagged compatible with the versa, not fitness related apps because no where in the original post did you specify that you were looking for fitness related apps.

@danjer wrote:

There aren't many apps for Versa besides the ones built-in. 

Many people have games installed that encourage activity, or apps that help take reliance off smartphones with regards to smart home management such as smart light management or smart garage door management, water tracking, pill tracking, tip splitting and alike.

@danjer wrote:

Do you really think the documentation is excellent? Would I be so frustrated if it were?

I guess it seems excellent to me but you are entitled to your own opinion. I only shared my experience, and sure, I have run into trouble finding things on the reference guide, but in my opinion it os fairly self explanatory.

@danjer wrote:

Do you know that the app skeletons generated for a new project don't even compile?

I appreciate that this would be very frustrating, but you have provided no error messages or 'problems' that you run into when compiling

@danjer wrote:

If you're happy with a small community of hackers who enjoy figuring out things on their own, then you have all the documentation you need. 

I don't know how "small" the group of developers is to be honest, but again I simply shared my opinion. 

Best Answer

I sincerely agree with @FlyBoyJIt. The tutorial and the examples provided by Fitbit are definitely very good and let me, a 47 years old guy with no previous experience, to build his first clockface, already published.

Coding is not an easy task and of course it requires a lot of dedication, expecially if you don't have any previous experience.

Also in my case these are my personal opinions.

Best Answer