Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piano Sheet Music Turner Idea

I have an idea that uses the Fitbit SDK and I want to know if it is plausible, and I want to know if there is precedent for pairing the Fitbit SDK with iOS as a switch.

Currently, I use an iPad to display sheet music while playing piano, and swipe to turn the pages.

I have just acquired a Fitbit Charge 5, and had the idea that I could use a gesture with the Fitbit's accelerometer instead to turn the page, resulting in quicker page turns.

I would imagine the implementation would be as follows:

Fitbit app detects gesture, e.g. palm down -> palm up,

Fitbit app sends a command to the iPad, specifically the "Accessibility->Switch Control" part of the settings that normally allow people to swipe automatically.

I know that Fitbit apps can access accelerometer data to some extent, so this question boils down to whether the Fitbit can be detected as a switch that triggers the iPad in the way that I want it to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Unfortunately, Charge 5 can't run custom apps. You'd need to use a Fitbit OS smartwatch. That could send a cue to a server app in iOS, which could then send a message to your page-turner.

As an aside, I've just written a music page turner app for windows, which I trigger by kicking an old mouse with my left foot. Unfortunately, I'm not well-enough co-ordinated to manage that very well while all my other limbs are in operation.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Another possibility:

I've found a PDF reader that reacts to volume buttons by changing pages. If I could get the Fitbit to change the volume of my iPad, maybe that would change the page.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ah, that is unfortunate. Thanks for your answer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kevinlinxc- a good idea. @Gondwana - made me smile, a brilliant implementation, thanks, the approach could be used for all sorts of uses.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer