Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned maintenance - Weds 26th

We have a planned maintenance window on Weds 26th from 1:00 pm - 1:15 pm PDT. During this time Studio and CLI tools will be unavailable.

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Some new features coming? Smiley Tongue

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Giampi71 wrote:

Some new features coming? Smiley Tongue

There's always new things coming, but unfortunately this is just some backend database work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JonFitbit

Out of curiosity, now that two big challenges are done (CLI and emulator), any plans on tackling the most pressing holes this platform has? A lot of small things that will make the SDK more useful? Like

• ability to run in background/schedule a callback (like Pebble service)
  • ability to play a sound in companion
  • ability to listen to a TCP/IP port in companion

These seem relatively small improvements but it will make the platform more useful, without forcing everyone to put functionality in a watchface, which as a workaround is not even perfect (as you can have a different app in foreground and that would defeat the purpose).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@paperinik thanks for the candid feedback. Some of those are on my personal wish-list too, but be sure to add SDK feature suggestions or vote on existing ones. https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/idb-p/features/label-name/sdk/tab/most-kudoed

Best Answer

@JonFitbit

candid for candid, "please use the SDK feature suggestion" doesn't work. Some of these requests have been opened for almost a year now.

Most of them have been replied with:

"Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community member think." (sic)

Please tell us something more concrete that can convince the product team to tackle them. Anything goes: bribing, online petition, pressing on Twitter, Twitter retweets, etc. 🙂 Feel free to reach me in private as well. I don't want to give up, but put yourself in our shoes and give a score to FitBit receptivity to suggestions as shown so far. I am not blaming the messengers here, I know that you folks are on our side. So please help us help you. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

We use the feature suggestion page for tracking interest in feature requests from the 3rd party developers, it's the single point of truth. For example, we have released the simulator and CLI tools. Both of those were highly requested and therefore a high priority for us.

In terms of the internal roadmap, we satisfy requirements from our internal development teams, 3rd party developers, partners, and even cater for customer's needs too. All of these consumers of the SDK have a stake in the growth and adoption of the platform, but I am personally advocating for all of these consumers.

We mark all of the feature requests as "Reviewed by Moderator" once we've captured the requests internally, then we update them to "Released" when they're completed.

There are some requests which are more technically challenging than others, but that doesn't mean we aren't working towards solving some of these challenging problems.

I hope that's given you a bit more insight into the process.

Best Answer
0 Votes