Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a Fitbit clockface to other platform

My Fitibit Versa 3 (with my own clockface) started showing a screen crack, and so I am thinking of buying a new smartwatch. In order to keep using my clockface, I either have to buy an old Fitbit model (new ones do not support 3rd party clockfaces yet), or move to a new platform. Does anyone here has idea how many hours (or days or weeks) should I expect to devote to learn and port my existing clockface to a new smartwatch platform (Pixel, Garmin, etc.)?  The current clockface is just about 200 lines of JavaScript, but I suspect learning the new API/SDK might be much more time consuming than the coding portion itself.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi there @r.b  - the API/SDK structure of other brands requires quite a steep learning curve and in some brands not all the features are available.

Fitbit [with Fitbit Studio] was one of the most flexible to easily produce clock faces and functions. The way it is done on other systems can be significantly different if you are not familiar the various systems used and relatively time intensive.

Versa 3 models are still available new.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Thank you, @Guy_.  So the practical option might be to buy a new (but older  model) Versa 3 or Sense this time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@r.b- Hi, that seems like the sensible solution, because porting to a new watch brand could take longer than the time it took to develop your own original clock face and there is no guarantee you would be able to implement the full functionality you have, depending on the sophistication you implemented, of course.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Thanks, @Guy_ .

Best Answer
0 Votes

That’a a big selling point of Versa 3. Perhaps Fitbit should sell Versa 3 at a higher price than Versa 4. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I personally think that Fitbit will close the entire SDK soon so I think it is a very good idea to start to look elsewhere rather than keep coding for old devices.

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer