Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about programming FitBit

ANSWERED

Hello all,

I am currently evaluating devices to develop a new fitness tracking application on. I came across the FitBit SDK for the Ionic and Versa. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can answer to see if I am able to do what I need to within the SDK. I don't need to know how to do these things in the SDK. I just need to know if it is possible to do these things.

1a) For the application, I would like to change the screen color based on some user data or preference or feedback. In either the Versa or Ionic, is it possible to change the background screen color within the SDK? Am I able to change the screen color during runtime? I am asking because I am seeing some conflicting responses on this.

1b) Am I able to set a background picture (say of 1 color) and to set the text of my application as the foreground?

2) Looking on the Versa and Ionic, I see what appears to be 3 buttons. I looked at some review videos and people appear to press a button to unlock the device. In the SDK, do you have access to this button? Do you also have access to use the other 2 buttons (or are the other  buttons not really buttons at all?)?

3) I am pretty sure that I came across this while going through the reference manual. But, are you able to change the color of text during runtime in the application?

Thank you all!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

1a. Yes. The only difficulty can be getting some info into the watch. Preferences are typically set on the companion device (eg, phone), and some user data comes from Fitbit's servers. Comms to the watch from both of those sources is possible, but can be tricky/flaky/slow.

1b. Yes.

2. Not sure what you mean by 'unlock' button. There are three physical buttons. Clockfaces shouldn't use them because the OS does so when a clockface is running; however, apps can respond to presses on any of the buttons.

3. Yes.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

1a. Yes. The only difficulty can be getting some info into the watch. Preferences are typically set on the companion device (eg, phone), and some user data comes from Fitbit's servers. Comms to the watch from both of those sources is possible, but can be tricky/flaky/slow.

1b. Yes.

2. Not sure what you mean by 'unlock' button. There are three physical buttons. Clockfaces shouldn't use them because the OS does so when a clockface is running; however, apps can respond to presses on any of the buttons.

3. Yes.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Hello Catplace, thank you for your response!

I also have 2 other questions that I am looking to get answered. They are more so questions for clarity to make sure that I read the documentation correctly.

1) Are you able to set the brightness of the device to a specific value? For example, when running my application, the brightness is set to max and the user can not change it. From the documentation, I believe that I can do this.

2) Are you able to "lock" the screen so that the screen still displays information but the screen does not respond to user touches?

Best Answer
0 Votes

1. Dunno, although I'd be a bit surprised if an app can override the brightness setting. I can't imagine this being a deal-breaker in any case.

2. 'Clockfaces': no. Apps: yes.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

1) Yes, an app can overwrite the system brightness. You can find the method in the Display API.

Best Answer
0 Votes