Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: how heart rate function behave when display is OFF?

ANSWERED

Is heart rate data stored in Fitbit device and Fitbit iOS App even if the function to switch off heart rate sensor  is included? (refer following official doc.)

https://dev.fitbit.com/build/guides/sensors/heart-rate/

I didn't figure out which behavior device would take when above function would be deployed. 

1. No heart rate data is stored in fitbit device, and so data during display OFF will be missed.

2. Heart rate date itself is stored even when display OFF, but I would not be able to get the data from sensor API. The heart rate data is able to be see in Fitbit iOS app including term of display OFF.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

My understanding is that the API simply allows your clockface/app to subscribe to the HR data. It doesn't actually turn the sensor on or off, so HR data is still stored, synced and available in Fitbit app, dashboard, Web API, etc.

When display goes off, I think that clockfaces are supposed to stop using sensors.

Some devices allow the HR sensor to be turned off in their Settings app.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

My understanding is that the API simply allows your clockface/app to subscribe to the HR data. It doesn't actually turn the sensor on or off, so HR data is still stored, synced and available in Fitbit app, dashboard, Web API, etc.

When display goes off, I think that clockfaces are supposed to stop using sensors.

Some devices allow the HR sensor to be turned off in their Settings app.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thank you for quickly reply!

So, it's better to include to switch off to get HR during display OFF in order to reduce battery consumption, right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep. .stop() in display change listener.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thank you!

Best Answer