Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reliably syncing app settings to watch

What is the preferred workflow for syncing settings to a watch?

I'm following the sdk-lcd-clock example to sync settings configured in settings/index.jsx to the watch and it works, sometimes, but the connection seems to be unreliable. I'm experiencing this unreliable message sending issue and when message delivery fails my settings updates end up getting lost.

So this raises the question, if the device-companion connection isn't active and the user wants to update an app setting, what should developers do to ensure the setting is reliably synced to the watch?

Should the companion app retry sending the message? 

Should the watch app check for settings changes every time it connects using a peerSocket.onopen event listener?

Is there a way to queue a message to be sent to the watch the next time it connects?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I experienced this issue too. 

Also messaging and file transfer is affected.
It runs well for the first time with the active developer bridge, but it stops working after some time - sometimes just for the second try or some hours or overnight.

It seems like the connection to the fitbit android phone app is broken, because it's also not possible to sync the Ionic with the app. I experienced also some fitbit app crashes when trying to sync. In this cases only a Ionic factory reset helps - but still no reliable communication.

Phone: SONY X Compact, Android 7.1.1, App version 2.62.1

Ionic: 27.30.5.16 

This issue is an absolute show stopper for every app/watchface using settings or companion. 
Is this issue known or could been reproduced by Fitbit-Dev-Team?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here for a couple of apps.

Running android 8.0 on a Pixel

Best Answer
0 Votes