Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove basic app in ionic device

ANSWERED

Hi, I use ionic device in my research.

Basically, the device is used while the device is initialized as a condition for experimentation.

However, I am trying to extend the battery life of the device as much as possible.

In the manual, ionic device runs out of battery for about 7 to 10 days, but after running my app, it has dropped by 78% in one day.

So I want to delete basic apps like workouts, alarms, weather, and 'Strava' that installed in the device.

But, I did not remove these basic apps through the companion.

I want to know another way.Smiley Sad

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I thought the battery life expectation was 4ish days (when new). This Ionic manual says that <10 hours of GPS, or <12 hours of music, will drain it.

I don't run my watch continually until it goes dead, so I don't know what maximum duration I could get. I charge it for about 30 minutes every day, and that keeps it going unless I leave screen or WiFi on.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I think you are asking the wrong question.  Even if you could remove all of the apps there would still be battery usage and at most you might add 1 or 2 hours to the run time of your app.

Rather than removing the other apps, I think you need to seriously look at reducing the battery consumption of your app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply! Smiley Happy

My app is an sideload app that collects accelerometer data and sends the data to the companion after storing it in a certain size.

I expect a lot of battery to be used for reading and writing data and sending it to the companion.

However, the process is an essential step, trying to minimize the battery in other areas.

As you say, if I delete other apps and the battery level does not increase for one or two hours, I expect the battery usage in my app to be very high.

Right now I'm storing a cbor encoded json file on my device. Can I expect the battery to be used a lot while reading and writing the file?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wrote a clockface that continually reads and writes files (here), so it can display a detailed historical graph of heart rate, steps, etc. I never noticed that it had a great impact on battery life.

As I understand it, the display is normally the greatest drain on battery. Don't keep it on unless you need to.

The developer bridge also kills battery (since it keeps WiFi on). Don't accidentally leave it running.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

So how long did the battery last when you ran your app continuously? Did you keep it for 7 to 10 days according to the manual? Smiley Surprised

Of course, the developer bridge is turned off when running the app.Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought the battery life expectation was 4ish days (when new). This Ionic manual says that <10 hours of GPS, or <12 hours of music, will drain it.

I don't run my watch continually until it goes dead, so I don't know what maximum duration I could get. I charge it for about 30 minutes every day, and that keeps it going unless I leave screen or WiFi on.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

My app seems to be more battery consuming because it requires 24 hours of continuous running.

When I run my app, there are a lot of texts on the display, so I need to minimize them and try the battery test again.

Thank you for your advice! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes