Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse migration making my Fitbit clockface compatible with older Fitbit models

ANSWERED

Hello, I made a Fitbit clock face called Full Metrics and I am trying to make it compatible with older Fitbit models (Fitbit versa 2 and Fitbit lite). I don't know if I should make the whole project into a older version 4.x or make a new watchface that only supports 4.x watches. I don't believe there is a way to upload 2 different versions to the same published app. What should/can I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The GAM page (and gallery page) can keep track of SDK4 and SDK6 versions simultaneously, so you only need one GAM project to serve both versions. When a user installs your clockface, the system sends them the most recent approved version of the clockface that runs on their hardware.

You can use separate Studio projects for each version, or just one (as @Guy_ described).

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I'd make the SDK4 version a separate Studio or CLI project, but with the same UUID as the current project. Then you can publish it using the same GAM product page.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Sounds good. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @TylerK289 - as long as you have a separate package.json with the same UUID there is no need for a separate project which means maintaining two more or less identical source codes.

The relevant SDK 4 GUI files can exist in the same project.

All you need to switch between SDK 4 & 5 is to make sure the relevant package.json is the current one by renaming the other in the meantime.

Eg.

package.json (for SDK 4)

package.json.v5 (for SDK 5)

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Oh alright. Thanks for the detailed response!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gondwana Would this overwrite the current 6.x version file and make the version of the GAM page 4.x or will it make a separate publish file, one for 6.x versions and for 4.x versions? Would it be a big deal if I downgraded to 4.x version? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The GAM page (and gallery page) can keep track of SDK4 and SDK6 versions simultaneously, so you only need one GAM project to serve both versions. When a user installs your clockface, the system sends them the most recent approved version of the clockface that runs on their hardware.

You can use separate Studio projects for each version, or just one (as @Guy_ described).

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Ah ok. I see now. Just uploaded my 4.x version! Thanks a lot!

Best Answer