Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sampling rate of heart rate sensor

Hello,

I'm new here and checked the board for information about heart rate sensor and the sampling rate.

But can't find anything, also not in the documetation.

Or did I miss something?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards,

Mark

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

The values you read with the HR sensor are in real time. From what I know you can't pick the sampling rate for this sensor.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EWR

Thank you.

Then I assume the sampling rate is not high enough, because not accurate when you do fast sports with high intensity.

Apple shows the sampling rate but with Fitbit it's a secret!

Und customer is wondering why the tracker shows not accurate heart rate.

Or have problem with the sleep stages when you have cardiac arrhythmia no reall HRV used.

Hopefully one day we will have an accurate Ionic. Will be a good basis for next generation tracker!

Regards

Mark

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

From what I have tested on the watch faces with the HR sensor, the rate is pretty good, basically it shows you the value of the BPM in real time. There were a lot of guys that tested the hr sensor with other medical devices and the error was pretty small, something like 1 or 2 bpm from what I remember.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you!

What means pretty good?

Apple has a range between 30 and 210 heart beat per second.

Fitbit: who knows?

I don't think it's pretty good. It's to slow for fast and intensive activity.

Unfortunately I don't have an IPhone.

If you have slow activity or you rest it's perfect, but not for action.

But..... I should receive soon my new Ionic and it was really hardware problem.

But I read some tests with Ionic and other smartwatch and all didn't show good result. Hmmm which test should we trust?

Anyway, why I'd like to know the sampling rate, I try to have the HRV visible and therefore I need the right sampling rate.

Maybe also for stress check and so on.

It's a lot possible.

Thank you.

Regards

Mark

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

The HR sensor sampling rate is up to 1hz

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JonFitbit

Thank you very much!

Don't you think it's to slow?

1Hz is not so much.

Sampling rate for HR

Sampling rate for HRV 2

Thank you.

Regards

Mark

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Perhaps we need to distinguish between the rate at which the LEDs sample the skin and the rate at which HR data is saved and reported.

The LED rate looks like at least 20 Hz to me. Based on personal experience, it's well able to record 200bpm and probably more.

That raw data is aggregated into HR figures for every second or so. This is what is accessible via the APIs.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it's different when the sensor has 1Hz sampling rate or 100Hz.

With 100Hz you will have more data, and of course that needs als more data space and battery.

Ok, as I learned from Charge 2 and Ionic that they have perfect heart rate while resting, sleeping and slow action.

But with fast or high intensive action it takes more time to show accurate heart rate.

Regards

Mark

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes