Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send data from PC

I've seen some things about sending info from the companion app to a server, which could be used to communicate data TO (not FROM) a PC if the server is running on a PC.
However, if I want to send data from a PC to Fitbit using this approach, it seems that I would have to implement a busy-wait where the companion app would have to periodically check for new data on the PC. That is really not ok.
Is there a way to do it using some feature of the SDK?

Because the other approach would also be quite cumbersome: Use the push notifications to send data to an app on the phone that would then issue a notification that should be displayed by Fitbit the same way Email and Calendar notifications are shown (which I would also have to figure out how to do).

Ideally, there would be a simple way in the SDK to allow sending data from the Fitbit to a PC and from the PC to Fitbit, even if that means going through the companion app.

I couldn't find anything that would cover this scenario on the SDK. Did I miss something? This would open the door for a whole new world in terms of Fitbit development.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I think you might be able to avoid polling by using WebSockets to send data to the companion. The companion may need to establish the connection first, but after that I think it's bidirectional.

You may still need to go via a server somewhere to get around SSL restrictions.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes