Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store data locally on companion app phone

ANSWERED

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to store data collected from the device on the phone running the companion app. It seems like the API is suited for sending the data off from the companion app to some server. However, I don't see any documentation for saving the data locally on the phone.

I think the closest solution I found is the one mentioned here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/Storing-time-hr-and-gps-information-from-fitbit-devi... but it requires that the data goes to some server. I would like for the data to not leave the phone, and therefore I am considering whether I could run a server locally on the phone (likely Android).

Does this make sense and did anyone try this approach?

Thanks,

Paula

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, everything is geared up to sending data to the cloud, but it is possible to use fetch() or websockets to communicate with an Android app running a server.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Unfortunately, everything is geared up to sending data to the cloud, but it is possible to use fetch() or websockets to communicate with an Android app running a server.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! I will give it a try then.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any luck?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, worked. Made an app running a server waiting for requests and storing data locally on the phone.

Best Answer

Would you be willing to share your app?

One out of the dozen Android applications I have tried that host local servers, it seems that I can send data out. However, the server does not grab it.

I am attempting to send data off my device (calculated HRV data), to get a graphical representation of what the app is doing. This is for a school project.

Best Answer
0 Votes