Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching a Run workout to a Bicycle workout

So, I blew it today on a big bike ride. I forgot my usual bike gloves and used another pair of work gloves. This translated into me accidentally picking "Run" when I meant to select "Bike" workout.

The results have me somewhat dumbfounded and I am trying to find a way to recover the proper data that I am looking for.

The iOS Fitbit app that I use supports changing the workout type after-the-fact. I navigated to the workout in question and changed it from Run to Bike. However, the workout says I only travelled 1.99 miles, and this is totally inaccurate. I suspect the actual distance is more like 5-7 miles. If possible, I'd also like to recover at least my average speed - not sure if max speed is recoverable.

I am baffled for several reasons:

1. GPS was on, and it clearly shows a distance of much farther than 1.99 miles.
  2. I changed the workout from Run to Bike. Aside from labelling, I would expect that this feature uses the captured data and interprets it differently, as a bike ride, and updates the relevant data points. However, that doesn't seem to be the case.

So my question is, how can i recover more bike-relevant data - at least fix the distance travelled, average speed, and calories burned? It seems that at least this should be easily recoverable, as there is a GPS track + time. Distance travelled + time should be able to get me an average speed.

Finally, is there a way to see the raw data tracked/stored and associated with a given workout from Charge 4? Could i use the developer API or SDK for this? If all else fails, it would be nice to do this manually. I work in software engineering so don't be afraid to get technical.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I think that distance for walk/run is computed as the product of stride length and step count.

The only API that applies to Charge 4 is the Web API. You may be able to get GPS data from it, but not easily.

Your might need to delete the run from your activity history, and replace it with manually-entered values for a newly-added activity. Make sure you note down anything you want to retain from the "run" before deleting it.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thanks for this insight. So what I ended up doing is extracting the TCX file for the GPS path and using that to get the data that I needed. That data "made sense" compared to my expectations of actual travel, max speed, etc...

It's just very odd to me that the TCX file has the actual data I'm looking for, but the FitBit app makes no actual use of the data! I'm still thankful to have it, but I may file a feature request that uses the GPS data and corrects the issues when someone switches between workouts if the data is available.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dr1v3n it's a lost battle I'm afraid. It's since the release of ionic that the runners community is asking to make use of GPS for distance computation and Fitbit developers simply don't care without giving any explanation.

My suggestion if you are a runner is to move to another product.

Best Answer
0 Votes