Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing on device with 4.x

ANSWERED

I got an message to update my versa to latest version. I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to test my watch faces and updated the watch to 4.0.1. Now I am not able to test the watch faces on my watch.

I have never seen before where a company doesn't release support for developers even though they have released the version publically 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I've been developing for the Versa 2 for a couple weeks now and found that "fitbit/sdk v3.1.2" doesn't even support launching to the Versa 2. It complains that the build target "mira" isn't supported, which is the internal name for the Versa 2. I went to Github to look at the fitbit SDK and found an in-development version that DOES support mira, "sdk v4.0.0-pre.4" and I've been using that with fitbit's SDK CLI implementation since. Two nights ago, I got the firmware update for my Versa 2. After a little testing, it looks as though the V4 version also supports the new firmware version as well.

TL;DR: If you're using the fitbit SDK through CLI, you can specify the following build and it might work:

"devDependencies": {
    "@fitbit/sdk": "4.0.0-pre.4",
    "@fitbit/sdk-cli": "1.7.0"
  }

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I haven't fully thought this through, but you may be able to do it by specifying SDK 4 in your package.json. You may also need to manually install the SDK 4 beta if npm or yarn doesn't pull it in automatically.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been developing for the Versa 2 for a couple weeks now and found that "fitbit/sdk v3.1.2" doesn't even support launching to the Versa 2. It complains that the build target "mira" isn't supported, which is the internal name for the Versa 2. I went to Github to look at the fitbit SDK and found an in-development version that DOES support mira, "sdk v4.0.0-pre.4" and I've been using that with fitbit's SDK CLI implementation since. Two nights ago, I got the firmware update for my Versa 2. After a little testing, it looks as though the V4 version also supports the new firmware version as well.

TL;DR: If you're using the fitbit SDK through CLI, you can specify the following build and it might work:

"@fitbit/sdk": "4.0.0-pre.4",
  }
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! That worked

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately this didn't work for me... I have those two latest packages and still get the same error message.
I hope I can run my app on my new Fitbit one day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

A funny thing happened after I answered this question on Saturday: Fitbit updated the SDK to 4.0.0! I was going to edit my initial reply, but I guess I'll just write that now you can use

"@fitbit/sdk": "^4.0.0",
  }

to build your apps.

All that aside, what's the error you're getting? Are you using the simulator or are you using a physcial device and phone?

Best Answer

@KrellKincaid Is it the official release of v4? I ask because Fitbit studio still doesn't have support for the Versa 2, and I haven't been able to find the official release of v4 (only the beta)

Best Answer

It's hard to say if Fitbit considers this the official release of v4. While their github account for their SDK shows that it is now v4.0.0, I haven't seen any articles, blog posts or mentions from officials indicating that v4 is actually out. I've also noticed that Fitbit Studio is starting to lag further behind the SDK and device releases. As such, I've been using an IDE (PhpStorm in this case, not free) and NodeJS to help with the development of my Versa2 compatible app.

Best Answer

We haven't officially released 4.0 yet, hence no announcement yet. There will be a blog post etc when it ships. https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/SDK-4-0-status/td-p/3800000

Best Answer
0 Votes