Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Run Exercise App

I am sure there have been similar posts to this, but here goes:

I can build an application that provides additional metrics not provided by the default exercise applications, and also to ping out current location over the companion app.

First question: If I run my own application, do I assume correctly that the exercise app will not automatically detect I am running and therefore not log the metrics required to perform a later analysis?

Second question: So if my assumption is correct, Does it really mean we all have to "start from scratch" and keep reinventing the wheel for each of our similar applications?

Third question: If my second question is true, then why are Fitbit not releasing the code for the exercise apps, or are Fitbit holding out on hidden api's that we could be utilising?

I apologise in advance for the directness of question 3. I do realise this is an evolving platform, but it does seem a nonsense having to code/hack our way to solutions where something already exists (for example collection of gps data and onward transmission to the host platform). 

This may seem like a negative post, but it really isn't meant to be. I really like the watch and I believe the direction of travel is good. I am sure with time the api's and companion app will become more settled and reliable. But please throw us more of a bone by opening up the code to the current applications, even if they are not fully documented.

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

API suggestion submitted here. Votes/comments may help.

Alas, I suspect this change may not be trivial to implement so we can't expect instant gratification. However, the activity app is arguably the centrepiece of a fitness watch, so opening up greater possibilities for this might hopefully strike a chord.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.

Best Answer
0 Votes