Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission/connectivity technology used and characteristics

ANSWERED

Hi all.

I use my fitbit ionic for research purposes and I would like to investigate the energy consumption and the time needed to transmit data in different scenarios, and whether it is more useful to process some data in the device instead of transmitting. So it would be useful to know the following:

Does the device use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) or regular bluetooth 4.0?
I was wondering if there is a way to choose the technology, and what is the maximum transfer speed given to a custom application when transferring file from device to companion app (which mainly depends on which one of the two technologies is used).

Thanks to all who will try to help me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

We don't artificially apply any restrictions for apps, so it's just whatever speed is negotiated between the phone and the watch.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Communications uses BLE only, and the speed may vary depending upon the mobile device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, there must be a maximum speed value on the fitbit device. Clearly if the mobile device creates a bottleneck, then the one of the mobile device will be the maximum speed.
I was just wondering what is the maximum available transmission frequency given to a custom application. Is there any specific restriction?

Best Answer
0 Votes

We don't artificially apply any restrictions for apps, so it's just whatever speed is negotiated between the phone and the watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes