Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use my Ionic with a different Fitbit developer account

I just tried doing a very basic task, unpairing my Ionic from my fitbit account and then pairing it to a new account so that i can develop apps under the new account instead of the old account.

I went into the mobile and tapped on the bin (trash) icon to unpair the device. I confirmed that the device was removed from my Fitbit account as the dashboard page shows "No devices Paired" at the top next to the date selection.

On a different phone, downloaded the Fitbit App and logged in using the new account, i then paired the device to the new account via the phone. I then logged into the "Gallery App Manager" only to be presented with this message:

"It looks like your watch is already associated to another developer account. One watch can only be associated to one Fitbit developer account at a time.

Contact appgallerysupport@fitbit.com if you need assistance."

Except that it's not because i unpaired the watch first and confirmed that it was indeed unpaired. Considering that changing my name on my original account did not change the name on the un-editable developer profile, it figures that unpairing the watch also does not reflect in the developer profile.

Why is this restricted like this, "one watch can only be associated to one Fitbit developer account at a time" it will cause many issues when devices are broken / replaced / sold if unpairing the watch does not remove the association to the developer profile/account and there is no way to remove the association my another means?

Why should a developer account even need to have watch associated with it? 

This issue is also referenced here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/how-to-specify-the-developer-name-when-creating-an-a...

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Just want to point out that i can carry on using the Gallery App Manager on the original account with no watch paired to the Fitbit account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To see what would happen, I did a factory reset without unpairing the watch from the new account, i was then able to pair the watch back to the old account. Looking back at the new account, the watch no seems to be no longer paired to it and the gallery is back to saying that i need a watch to be paired to the account. Is this because during the factory reset the watch communicated to the phone and unpaired itself, or did this happen when i paired it back to the old account and the backend just removed it from whatever account it happened to be paired with?

An observation from this is that a factory reset seems to remove the watch from both the Fitbit account and the developer account, but unpairing the watch only seems to remove it from the Fitbit account.

The watch is now installing a firmware update despite already being on the latest firmware.

I could try the whole process of transferring the watch to the new account again by using factory reset instead of unpairing, but i now know that the factory reset trick that i was planning on using to make the new account think the watch is still paired wont work, watch will need to stay on the new account if i want to use the gallery app manager. Constantly swapping it between 2 accounts will be far too time consuming!

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a restriction of requiring a device paired to an account to prevent abuse of the gam. We may make changes in this area in the future, but for now each developer account needs its own device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is it at all possible to remove the device from the developer account, or even remove the developer account?

I associated my watch with the wrong account, and now I can't use it to develop apps on the new account. Is there anything that can be done? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ehlesmes 

Try contacting dev support. The email address is in the FAQ accessible at the top of your GAM page.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @ehlesmes - in the Fitbit App click profile photo and scroll down to 3rd party apps, Manage 3rd party apps, you may find something there.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes