Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit tests using Jest

Hi,

If anyone is interested in applying TDD and Unit testing in general, let me know your thoughts about the repo in https://github.com/ihassin/fitbit-coachusa, that shows how to do so locally (using your favourite IDE) and then uploading the code to Fitbit Studio; all this in the hope that one day Fitbit will support a CLI to upload projects and releve us from the UI.

Comments welcome, fork it and make it better!

Thanks,

Itamar

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@ihassin: I'll give it a closer look, thanks for sharing. In the meantime, can you add your project in our OSS repository please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Fred, I shall add it to that repo under "examples" as showing the bus times is not a true app, but just an example of how to get Jest working with the code.

I am looking forward to your and others' comments about my code as I am not an expert in any of this, just wanted to hack my way in to getting tests running in both dev and Fitbit environments.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FYI: Expanded testing to "integration"-style tests by mocking out the document class provided by FitBit.

Maybe one day we can have a full mocked library for devs to use for testing 🙂

Mock is here, test is here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ihassin: I'm happy to tell you that we just release CLI tools.

Best Answer
Fantastic! I’ll give it a try.

Thank you,
- Itamar
Best Answer
0 Votes

With the release of our new CLI SDK tools, Jest integration is super simple. Pop the following in a jest.config.js:

module.exports = {

transform: {

".(t|j)sx?": "ts-jest",

},

moduleFileExtensions: [

"ts",

"tsx",

"js",

"jsx",

],

testRegex: ".*\\.test\\.(t|j)sx?$",

clearMocks: true,

restoreMocks: true,

testEnvironment: 'node',

};

And add "jest" and "ts-jest" to your devDependencies. "yarn test" should just work then and pick up .test.js files.

As for Fitbit APIs you want to mock out, use jest.mock('file-transfer') or similar, and then your actual application code can remain unmodified.

Best Answer

Thanks Liam. All good stuff today 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes