Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 4 unable to connect to fitbit studio developer bridge

ANSWERED

I created a clock face in fitbit studio, been testing it with the simulator.

I own a new Versa 4 so I was going to try loading it on to the device for testing, but I am having troubles.

I am able to connect to my phone to fitbit studio and connected the developer bridge in the android app. When going into settings on the Versa 4: settings -> developer bridge -> turn on then asks if I want to restart the device to turn on usb debugging. When clicking yes, this just ends up doing... nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The SDK for Versa 4 hasn't been released yet. Studio is probably still using the most recent public SDK, which can't target Versa 4.

The Versa 4 SDK is coming.

ie, you're doing nothing wrong. 🙂

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

The SDK for Versa 4 hasn't been released yet. Studio is probably still using the most recent public SDK, which can't target Versa 4.

The Versa 4 SDK is coming.

ie, you're doing nothing wrong. 🙂

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Hi @ryanmathewson23 - this is interesting as the Versa 4 does not have user wifi, which is normally used by the developer bridge, and am not sure it even has that option. So are you sure it is a Versa 4?

As the firmware loads over Bluetooth may be there is a developer bridge version which works over Bluetooth on this watch.

As you can't make an app or clock face to try on a Versa 4 there is nothing that could be transferred anyway, which is another reason that it might not be a Versa 4. What watches did you select in the package.json?

As @Gondwana say, Fitbit Studio probably does not accept connections from a Versa 4 at this stage, hence it does nothing on the watch as it can't connect if it is in fact a Versa 4.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is a Versa 4, just purchased and looking at the box. I made it targeting Versa 3 because I figured that was the closest option. I guess I will be patient until the Versa 4 SDK comes!

Best Answer

Hi @Gondwana ,

How are you sure that SDK for versa 4 is coming? 

Even from my end i tried connecting the fitbit studio to my sense 2 using developer bridge but no luck. I was able to enable the usb debugging in my sense 2 though. But fitbit studio cant detect my watch as the wifi is disabled.

Regards

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rajat1048 wrote:

...How are you sure that SDK for versa 4 is coming? ...

Fitbit's dev person (Jon) said so. I don't think you'll have much success until it's released.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Hi @rajat1048 - in version 1.169.4.18, the original release, there isn't even the option of developer bridge, at least not in the main settings menu, and even when on charge it does not appear.

This may have been added in a later version. Which versions did you try on?

In any case it would seem that if the connection is being done by USB instead of wifi it could be the problem. Because it would make it a new process that may not be fully developed yet and may be part of the reason for the delay in SDK support.

On the positive side having the watch forced to be on charge while using the developer bridge seems like a good idea as it gets round the heavy battery drain when using it over wifi.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Guy_ ,

I am currently on 1.184.52 firmware. I need to connect to the charger and select the usb debugging option to on. The sense 2 device restarts and i can see the option selected. However the fitbit studio will not recognize it.

May be as @Gondwana mentioned i need to wait for the SDK to be released.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rajat1048- thanks for the feedback, which seems to confirm that things are gradually catching up.

Let's see how it works when the support is enabled.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rajat1048- In version 1.169.4.18, the original release on the Versa 4, there was no developer bridge in main settings.

Updated to 1.184.52 firmware, still no developer bridge in the main settings.

Did factory reset, still no developer bridge in the main settings.

May be only the Sense 2 supports this option and they forgot to add it for my early Versa 4?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is according to fitbit itself

In order to gain access to the developer functionality, you must first login to Fitbit Studio, and accept the Fitbit Platform Terms of Service.

After accepting the platform terms of service, you should be able to access the Developer menu within the Fitbit mobile app (Your device > Developer), and the Developer Bridge menu on your device (Settings > Developer Bridge).

NOTE: It is not possible to build a single project for Fitbit OS 4 and Fitbit OS 5 simultaneously, you need to maintain 2 separate projects.

Best Answer

@rajat1048- well spotted!!

Forgot watch was on a different account!! Now have the same issue, Fitbit Studio doesn't see it as a device.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes