Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the FitBit App Gallery policy on logos, photos, flags, etc?

ANSWERED

I was wondering if the FitBit App Gallery will reject apps/watchfaces that contains certain logos, fonts, symbols and flags.  

Logos could be anything from company logos to sports teams logo.

Fonts could be part of a team name's logo.  

Flags of countries or states or events like the Olympics.  

For example, would a watchface containing a professional team's schedule with it's team logo be allowed in the FitBit App Gallery? 

Another example might be a watchface with a photo of a celebrity?  

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Here are the App Gallery guidelines:

https://dev.fitbit.com/legal/app-gallery-guidelines/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the link to the guidelines.  I had read it before.   But, law terms are always vague to me and Fitbit might interpret the law differently than I would.  

For instance, 

Intellectual Property
Your App will not infringe, or encourage or induce infringement of, the intellectual 
property rights of others, including without limitation any patent, trademark, trade
secret, copyright and other proprietary rights. If we have reasonable suspicion that your App infringes the intellectual property
rights of others, your App could be removed from the Fitbit platform.

Pebble had a watchface with the Philadephia Phillies baseball team logo on it with the score of the current game and schedule of future games.  Would Fitbit allow this type of watchface in the App Gallery? 

Or if you could direct me to the person/team who will be approving our submitted apps, that would be helpful as well.  Thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Pebble app store has different terms to the Fitbit App Gallery, but in Pebble's case, people should not have been uploading clocks or apps which use other peoples logos and trademarks without permission. It wasn't Pebble's responsibility to verify every app, but if a complaint was received from the copyright holder, the app would be removed from their store.

I will see if I can get some additional clarification for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FWIW I've found most companies/brands with recognizable icons, who wouldn't otherwise be investing any time or effort in placing their brand on a platform (such as a smartwatch face), are happy to provide you with permission to use their branding, not for profit, within the confines of their various style/usage guides.

Keep in mind that the general intent (specifics will vary by corporation/etc.) of all such usage can likely be best summarized as:

"use only our assets, no color/modification"

"don't claim to be us, put a visible disclaimer that you aren't"

"don't use our name, as it could make people think you are us"

"don't put other stuff there, as people could think it's a message we support"

Best Answer

As an aside to FitBit - it would be useful if you can attach accompanying documentation when you do have such supporting information that something is allowed and not infringing.  Companies often outsource blanket takedown actions and the person requesting often will not know or check who has been permitted usage, so if we could provide that information as part of our app submission, it could prevent a lot of back and forth and having to pull then restore an app.

Best Answer