Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the Iconic support background applications?

I just purchased an iconic as a replacement for my fitbit 2 with HR. As someone who's come to rely on the watch waking me up using a smart alarm with a Kunami code I was hoping the functionality would be available. Sadly it isn't and I can't even develop an app myself because apparently there's no way to run tasks in the background. 

So here's my ultimatum of sorts: Provide me with a date background functionality will be available so I can develop an app for this purpose or in 7 days I'll packup both of the watches I just purchased and send them back to Amazon.

Not trying to be mean spirited, but this isn't that complicated of a feature to build in.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I'm sorry that we don't currently support background applications, but you could develop this as a clock face instead.

You're welcome to submit a feature request using the SDK label, but I can guarantee the feature won't be added within 7 days, sorry.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/idb-p/features/label-name/sdk/tab/most-kudoed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was not asking if it will be added in 7 days so I appoligize for the miscommunication there... I was asking if the feature is on the docket and and has a estimated date on the road map.

Also my understanding is that even if my app is the clock face that doesn't guarantee it will update if the user's screen is off or if the user opens another app. If this isn't the case I suppose that building a watch face will do for the purposes of building this app.

Best Answer

"Not trying to be mean spirited, but this isn't that complicated of a feature to build in."

I'm afraid you have no idea how easy or difficult that functionality is to build in given the hardware and OS choices that have already been made. The only people that know that are the developers at Fitbit.

Games developers get this all the time "Why don't you add feature XXXX, it's not hard to do." it might be impossible to do given the existing architecture of the game/hardware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll let you have that point as I'm not here to argue. All I want to know is that eventually there will be a way for background processing (provided Jon's suggestion won't work) to be added. It may not be as easy as I think it is, but if I'm going to invest time in this platform over another watch I do need to make sure it'll eventually have the features I want.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hopefully it will come, background tasks are handy to have.

Best Answer
0 Votes