Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.fba File Format / Compiler

ANSWERED

I know the .fba file is a zipped file that contains a number of zipped subfolders and manifest files. How is the fba file compiled? What tool are you using and is it possible for developers to compile offline without Fitbit Studio? The reason I ask is that I have started to use a source code repository for my code and resource files, but find it a nuisance to have to build and download the .fba file that matches a particular build version. I am trying to set up a continuous build / continuous integration process but without knowing how the .fba file is generated from the source code, I run the risk of having a fba file that is out of sync with the code.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Higgs is the codename for Ionic, and Meson is the codename for Versa. In case you were wondering 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

We don't currently have any command line tools, but we're hoping to provide some in the future.

The current build process is done in the browser, basically bundling and tree-shaking using rollup.js.

We bundle the device javascript and convert it to ES 5.1 JavaScript for the device, process png images into txi format, then create a zip file like this for each platform.

01.png

Then we bundle and zip the companion, platform zips, and a manifest file into a single zip (named .fba).

02.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Higgs is the codename for Ionic, and Meson is the codename for Versa. In case you were wondering 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good to know, thanks. Hoping that it won’t be too long before we’ll be able to code, build and run in the simulator offline and then upload / publish to Fitbit Studio to test on a real device. That way I can code in my favourite editor and use source control to keep everything in sync.

Best Answer

Is it still not possible to create a .fba outside of Fitbit Studio? I'm using Visual Studio Code to code in TypeScript, and I can build and send my app to the simulator using the command line window, but unless I can generate a .fba file I can't submit it for publishing. In 2018 you said that providing this functionality is planned for the future, and here we are.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're using Visual Studio Code with CLI to send apps to the simulator, you're probably making .fba files outside of Studio. Look in your project's 'build' directory.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thank you! I found app.fba and it looks like the genuine article.

Best Answer