Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble starting my first project

I keep getting this error, and I'm stuck trying to work through it. It seems to be getting hung up on the path where my name is two words. Any direction?

C:\Windows\System32>npx create-fitbit-app my-first-clock
npm ERR! code ENOLOCAL
npm ERR! Could not install from "Tager\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_npx\15848" as it does not contain a package.json file.

C:\Windows\System32>

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Before using that npx, cd to the folder in which you want your app to be created.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried it from the user folder too. Should I create a new project folder in the user folder and then try it from there? It creates a folder in my users with just my first name itself and the throws the same error. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Created a folder inside my users folder called fitbitProject. Ran the line from there and got the same error. The line where it says could not install from is what’s getting me. It’s missing the path from my last name forward.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn't read your first post closely enough. Maybe something in node doesn't like path components with spaces in them. For a giggle, create a folder without spaces, and not in a protected area, and try again. c:\users\dtager might work.

There's a tiny chance that it's a node version issue. Node 14 or 16 usually work.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes