Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afib Detection and Previous Diagnosis

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just had the afib detection feature offered. But when I went a head to proceed I was rejected because I had been previously diagnosed with afib. This may make sense for those currently experiencing afib episodes, so they already know they have it. But I was diagnosed in 2018. I had an ablation procedure that solved the afib issue and I haven't had a bout of afib since July 2019 (more than 3 years). I have had periodic verifications with holter monitors that are a real drag to wear - especially at night. You have to wear them for a week, every six months or so. Since, before 2019, when I actually had afib I had no symptoms, I had to regularly use a blood pressure cuff device several times daily that could detect when I was in it - again a real pain. Since they have not seen any evidence of afib on my occasional holter tests, I have not had one in awhile - I am deemed cured. My concern is it could come back and I wouldn't know it since I have no symptoms. This feature would really help. Must I go back to daily blood pressure cuff measurement? And that is not constant like the fitbit feature would be.

Also for people like me with no symptoms when in afib, before they get their ablation, this would also help. The thing with afib is that the longer you are actually in afib the more the irregular signaling process actually hard wires itself in and the less chance the ablation procedure, if done, works. So, before my ablation, whenever I went into afib I used to go to the ER and get cardioverted (they put the paddles on me) so I would go back to sinus rhythm (normal heart beat). Thus my ablation was more likely to be successful, as it was.

To my way of thinking this should be available to all. If, on occasion, fitbit suggested that it detected afib I could check it with my other blood pressure cuff detector or now my ecg feature on my sense.

I am a retired Medical Physicist. I have consulted on ablation procedures with cardiology departments. The more info one has - the better.

Also, I could have just lied about having had it, but I just can't do that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@joe2727   My husband also had an ablation for Afib, so we had the same thoughts when faced with that question.  We asked his EP cardiologist about it.  He seemed honestly confused about it.  He said that Afib can recur later and who wouldn't want to passively monitor for it?  My husband was very reluctant about lying, but I convinced him that he should.  It seems like Fitbit didn't think this part through or that they don't realize that this procedure exists.

Just so you know, he hasn't been smitten by God for lying about this.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

@joe2727   My husband also had an ablation for Afib, so we had the same thoughts when faced with that question.  We asked his EP cardiologist about it.  He seemed honestly confused about it.  He said that Afib can recur later and who wouldn't want to passively monitor for it?  My husband was very reluctant about lying, but I convinced him that he should.  It seems like Fitbit didn't think this part through or that they don't realize that this procedure exists.

Just so you know, he hasn't been smitten by God for lying about this.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
Yes, I should have discussed it with my wife and then I would probably have
done as you did. I have again pleaded my case in a different post and if,
as I expect, the results do not change I'll just break down and go ahead.
But then the dilemma is how do I re-acquire the ability to install the
option? But I'll figure it out. Thank you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think this is a case of Fitbit being concerned the Afib detection feature may miss some events. Fitbit prefers it to be used as an early warming system rather than monitoring an existing Afib condition and detecting every event.

Best Answer

@FloppyDrive   I agree with you.  Fitbit says this in its Irregular Rhythm Notification Help article.  If you go to the page and all the sections are maximized, you need to scroll through a lot to get to the bottom of the page.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wanted to share my experience. I had the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 and that device failed to diagnose a heart problem. Then decided to move to Apple from Android. Apple watch picked up on it right away and I made an appointment with a cardiologist. Went through multiple tests which then led to an angiogram which then led to a double bypass. While I was in the hospital I developed Afib. When I was sent home. I was sold on Apple and swore by it. When i thought I was going into Afib, my watch detected it. I kept all the reports and printed them out and gave them to my doctor. Turns out I was not in Afib at all. The watch cannot really decipher the difference between afib and another heart issue. 

All these watches are nice but they are not medical grade. It was helpful that I had the printout to give to my cardiologist for his review. Also this watch along with Apple watch is a single lead EKG which is different from a multi lead EKG they have in the doctors office. I did run across a device recently made by Kardia Mobile I believe, That one does a 6 lead EKG. They also have one that is the size of a credit card that you can use. 

Best Answer

Thank you for the info. Since I haven't had any recurrence of Afib in more than 3 years after my ablation, I feel as though I'm back to being heart issue free. So I am using the feature as any other person would and that is, if it gives me a warning, I'll have my cardiologist verify it with holter. I'm not deluding myself, people with ablations, even though successfully treated, are at higher risk of re-developing Afib. That is why they still keep me on blood thinners. But it is nice to have additional resources, such as this fitbit feature, to aid in its monitoring. But I certainly wouldn't count on it as my sole source of diagnosis. I am fortunate to live in Canada where it costs me nothing to see my cardiologist regularly. I was there just a month or 2 ago, he had me do some routine blood tests. I also have regularly scheduled echocardiograms and holter monitoring tests. But if I ever get Afib back and fitbit catches it between regular cardiology visits then so much the better.

I have seen a Kardia mobile device advertised. The one I saw, you only put 2 fingers on (left and right hand). Another device had 2 fingers and a knee (one leg) connection. All these would be better than fitbit, I'm sure, but I don't feel I need it at this time.

As far as false positives go, I have a blood pressure cuff that can detect Afib during an episode. When I used to have episodes I verified them with that and went to the ER. They confirmed it each time with their EKG. Also another reliable method is just to feel your pulse, some people can feel an irregular heartbeat manually.

Other than Afib, I feel fortunate not to have any other cardiac issues and hope that all your issues have been resolved as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was diagnosed with Afib in 2015 while hospitalized with kidney stones. The cardiologist was surprised I could not feel it. I was converted and have seen him regularly ever since. This is the whole reason I got the Fitbit.  

I was confused as to why it was only for non-diagnosed people and not for ongoing monitoring for early warning with it, as well. For me, it made sense to lie. I'm glad I did. I had an episode in June starting at 2:30 a.m. and woke up to the notification; I was still in Afib. Called my doctor and was treated. I never felt it.

I am aware it does not take the place of regular treatment and vigilance on my part, but I look at it as another tool to help me like it did that day.

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I set the ECG up for my mum who has AF and is on blood thinners for it.  It correctly detected AF and it sends a message to the phone.
I told the watch she did not have it, simply to see if the watch could detect it - which it did so I figured the watch is at least good for that test.

I have no issues in telling the watch what it wants to hear in order to get the features I want. 

This is not lying and you can do what you want with your device.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It certainly makes sense. I used to get cardioverted all the time even
though I was on meds. I finally got tired of doing that and had an ablation
which, so far (four years), has resolved the problem. And since I, like
you, felt no symptoms, I feel good about having the fitbit as a watchdog
for a recurrence. I do not solely rely on it, I see my cardiologist
annually and occasionally wear a Holter to watch for a return of Afib. But
the fitbit can watch daily as opposed to the Holter that takes place for a
3 day period only once a year.
Best Answer
0 Votes