Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Sense store music like the Ionic?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I see where the sense can stream music from pandora but that requires a device with an internet connection, and if you are doing a run you really don't want to lug around your phone.  Does the Sense or Versa provide the ability to store music that I can then stream to my Bluetooth headphones?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
110 REPLIES 110

New user here. Just regged here as I read about the new Sense. Really amazing device. Felt like the first smart watch I have considered. Was trying to check up how much storage there is for music so I found my way to this thread.

Not being able to store files is a big disappointment for me. Almost a deal-breaker. It isn't just about music. There is also audiobooks and some meditation exercises which I use. Stuff that can be bought or downloaded for free and legal and that isn't available at any streaming service.

The question is if it is impossible to store files locally on Sense or just that FitBit don't include a app for that? For me it seems reasonable to have an option to access Google Drive (or some other cloud service) and copy mp3/m4a/m4b and maybe Flac files from there to the watch.

I really hope FitBit reconsider on this as there is obvious a need and demand for this feature.

Best Answer

So, I’m confused and maybe someone can clear this up.

is it possible to play music from the sense without connecting to cellular through your phone?

i understand you have to connect and can “download” music from deezer but then can you go for a run and leave your phone behind and the music will play?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Wyldecat Yes, you can download music from Deezer or Pandora and then have music and leave your phone at home. However, the catch is that you have to first pay for premium with those services to do it. So you spend $330 on a smartwatch and then have to shell out another $120 per year to use your smartwatch fully. Ridiculous! I'll be keeping my Versa 2 until they wise up and change that "feature" back to the way it was.

Best Answer
Yes but I also want in-device GPS. The ionic has both functions I want but unfortunately I went through 5 ionic sand all of them kept crashing.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I agree.  I was just about to pre-order the Sense, but due to the lack of stored music, I think I'll stick with my Ionic.

Best Answer

Totally agree 

Best Answer

I need to say this is a stupid that you cannot store your own music from computer. I just got sense and unfortunately read this post after the fact. I am returning this useless watch. Who would carry an ever glowing big phone and run while risking the expensive device from breaking??? Sense has GPS and other  technologies, but if this phone simply cannot play your own play list, this is garbage. This lack of functionality will definitely bring Fitbit to lower tier company compared to other smart watches.

Best Answer

I am surprised that music can't be stored. I ordered sense and was waiting it eagerly. Now planning to return it once received. 

Best Answer

I almost ordered the fitbit sense after quite a wait....Not having the capability to store music is a deal breaker...Will shell out a little more and buy galaxy watch 3 now.

Best Answer

I bought the sense last week with 3 reasons in mind - add my music, use to pay and health monitoring.

1 Can't store my own music - have to use deezer - I have already paid for my cds - why pay for it all again? - crackers.

2 Can't use my bank with fitbit pay - only use on obscure list of banks - crackers

3 The health bits seem ok at the moment.

2 out of 3 fails is enough to send it back !!

Best Answer

How do you store music on the watch using pandora? I tried it at the gym this morning and had to use my phone to tell the watch to connect to the wifi at the gym before anything would play. How about a feature that allows you to connect to wifi using the watch without needing to use the phone. I cannot store music using pandora only stream through the app while connected to wifi. This means that when running outside I need to use my cell as a wifi hotspot. Also I bought the sense because of being able to answer calls through the watch. That does not work either, it works the same as the fitbit versa2

-------------------------

I just learned that with a pandora account that I can download my pandora channels to my sense for offline playing. I only wish I could store mp3 files the same way I could with my versa2. I have a large library.

Best Answer

This will pretty much be a deal breaker for me. What a shame...I just received my new Sense. I'll be **ahem**ed if I'll buy a premium service to listen to music I already own, especially after paying a premium price for the watch and finding Google Assistant isn't yet available. Just disappointment after disappointment...no value.

Best Answer

Absolute laughable your comment adding our votes and comments to achieve a better chance of getting the attention of the developers.

The last time the community suggested to add an ECG feature it took Fitbit 3 years to implement this feature.

Now how many years do we have to wait again before someone wakes up in your sleeping beauty castle and allows downloading our tracks without costly subscription?

Almost 15 bucks for Fitbit Premium plus 15 bucks for Deezer subscription, that's $30 per month or $360 per year. I must be crazy paying that much money for something without any real value other than some minor conveniences.

From the above comments you have already managed ticking off a lot of people who DO NOT consider buying the Sense.

But as we can see your management is not really concerned loosing (again) customers. Not with the impending takeover by Google on the horizon. With that many competitive devices available in the market, you have again lost the edge here.  With rapidly advancing technology Fitbit will be another fad in a short period of time. 

Best Answer

This is a deal breaker for me.  I currently own the Ionic, which does allow the user to download their own music and stream it via bluetooth to ear buds.  I am returning my Sense until the time that Fitbit upgrades the Sense to allow the user to download their own music.  All the new features on the Sense are great and the design is more pleasing, but the inability to download one's own music is a down grade from my current Ionic.

Best Answer

I was looking to replace my Ionic but I use offline music everyday for my workouts.  I'm glad I checked this forum before ordering.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Fitbit Sense has only been released recently. Wait until more consumers have purchased the device and are finding out about the missing feature to upload one's own tracks.

Best Answer

I bought the Sense mainly because of the ECG feature. Waited 3 years for it and didn't want to buy the Apple watch.

That I am unable to download my own tracks doesn't really bother me. I am using bluetooth earbuds which not only let me control the tracks and volume, but also active noise cancellation and storage of hundreds of tracks.

Users complaining about the lack of storing music on the Sense should consider this option, since you will not see Fitbit changing anything ever. It does not fit in their business model.

There are now tons of different bluetooth earbuds available with all kind of features and the prices have also come down considerably.

Best Answer

@StuHarriman good point regarding meditation exercises. I hope Fitbit will make these apps available soon, to which one can listen to with bluetooth headphones or earbuds, while at the same time logging a yoga exercise or similar on the Sense.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only way without cellular is by listening with your headset connected to your phone and controlling the tracks with the Sense.

The controls are very basic and allow for play, stop, skipping back and for and volume control. The Sense will also display the artist and title of your track.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Consider the newly released Xiaomi Mi Watch Revolve, too.

Comes with the ECG function and extensive fitness tracking features, some cool stress and energy data add-ons and 14 day battery stamina.

Apart from all the bells and whistles there are presently not many add-on apps available, but this will change soon.

Best Answer