Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check charge cable - Sense/Versa 3 won't charge, won't start or blank screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It cannot be stressed strongly enough how important it is to clean the 4 contacts points on the back of your watch especially if experiencing a slow charging message or no charging. The holes are prone to collecting deposits very quickly,

If you are sure the terminals are clean on your watch and charge cable, and you have reviewed Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging?, the charge cable may be faulty.

To verify, check the 4 pins are equally prominent and properly located using the back of your nail carefully to check the spring pressure is the same on each pin, especially the left bottom one.

charge cablecharge cable

If when using a computer port to charge the device it is not recognized by a sound it would indicate a problem.

Do also try removing the USB plug and then reinserting for a few minutes, Then while still being connected press the side button for 3 or 4 seconds, you may feel a vibrate. Try this process several times.

If it's under warranty you can contact Fitbit Support directly. They should send you a replacement charge cable.

Also reachable via the Fitbit App, click profile photo, Help & Support, Contact Customer Support.

You can also buy them online if out of warranty.

Warning: if your watch gets hot when charging stop immediately, it is dangerous as there is most likely internal damage, possibly from water getting in.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
48 REPLIES 48

The charging cable is not the problem.  Works fine for my wife's watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem and my watch totally died. 

Best Answer

Hopefully your watch is still under warranty.  It seems most Fitbit watches last just over the warranty timeliness of 1 year and then stop working! 

Best Answer

In the Fitbit article  "Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging?"

Fitbit fails to acknowledge that the strong magnet that pulls the charger against the watch SLAMS the charger's pins against the watch.

How many times can these delicate pins survive this pounding before a pin gets pushed into the chargers body - rendering the charger - AND YOUR WATCH - inoperable!

This is not an uncommon issue, according to these forums.

It's happened to me.

It's a poor showing that Fitbit does not acknowledge this known issue in their own article on this subject.

Best Answer

It is always the same pin and most likely caused by the spring acting as a
fuse when the charger shorts out on the metal body of the watch.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
This observation makes sense - and it’s surprising this situation isn’t more common than what it appears to be on this forum.
Best Answer

Thank you for the repsonse.  The contacts on the cable are fine, but no sound when I plug it into a computer and attach the watch.

It is definitely out of warrenty.

Will look into buying a cable.

Best Answer

Thank you for your help 

Best Answer

Its very common!  I have had to replace it 3 times

Best Answer
0 Votes

My new charger arrived today. It’s a nuisance isn’t it? 

Best Answer

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thank you for sharing your experience and troubleshooting. If your Sense is not charging, please follow the charging tips in this Fitbit help article Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging?

Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

i went out and bought two generic chagers, but versa 3 did not charge either. I'll recheck the fitbit charger again.  Thanks for the advice.

BV

Best Answer

Hi there, @BikingViking.

Thanks for joining this thread and your efforts while troubleshooting your Versa 3. Please try checking the charging cable and make sure to follow the rest of the steps described in this help article. If the issue persists, let me know so I can continue helping you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is my second watch 

the first one was also problematic but replaced with the recall and now this one will not charge despite cleaning pins etc and using my husbands charge as he has the same watch not worth the price they charge and will never recommend them or buy another 

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply. I have cleaned it carefully. I also asked if the failure could be with the charging cable. The first service agent I chatted with told me that was a very rare problem.

I will check it again.

Best Answer
Oh my! What does Fifbit customer service say?
Best Answer
0 Votes

hi GWoodSGN

There is a well known problem with the charging cables that one of the 4 contact pins keeps getting stuck in the down position as per the attached photo. 

This stops the cable from charging the watch. I am now on my 5th cable but find that if you plug in the cable to the watch before attaching the USB end to the power supply seems to have fixed the problem. Check your cable to see if the pin is stuck down and if it is then hit Fit Bit up for a new cable as many people already have.

Capturec.JPG

Best Answer
Thanks. You accurately diagnosed the problem. Something three different
Fitbit service advisors failed to do. Now I hope they send a replacement
cable before my warranty expires.
Best Answer

There is a major problem with the Sense charge cables. Look for a pin that
is recessed.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the details and pictures provided, as well as the steps tried on your end. I understand where you're coming from and I'm sorry for this inconvenience. I appreciate your feedback and we'll keep working to improve our devices, and the experience with them.

@Tuppertea I understand you've tried cleaning the contacts and using another charging cable, but could you confirm if you have tried the rest of the troubleshooting steps described here? If not, please give them a try and monitor its behavior to see how it goes.

@GWoodSGN I went ahead to check your details and it seems you already have a case created with our Support team. Please keep an open communication with them, I'm sure they'll continue helping you with this matter.

Best Answer
0 Votes