Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Google Assistant, on Sense, opening Google News app on my Android phone

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there, 

When I ask Google Assistant via my fitbit about the news in any capacity, it opens the information on my phone in Google News, opening a window, playing audio and pushing it to whatever audio output I'm currently using.

This was discovered when my daughter was asking about North Pole news and it overrode my music and started playing in my ear. 

We tested it with regular news from a non magical place and it is the same. 

I cannot find any settings on the fitbit, the fitbit app, Google Assistant, Google News, or anywhere else to alleviate this. 

I am using a fitbit Sense with a Samsung Galaxy S23.

Removing Google Assistant or switching to Alexa is not an agreeable solution. 

Thanks in advance!

Moderator edit: edited title to clarity.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @TIFN8ER - the Google Assistant on the Fitbit watch has some limitations, it won't run routines anymore for instance.

As the interface is voice driven there may be some functions, like videos that it can't support so resorts to using the phone, after all it's a bit like a remote control of Google Assistant on the phone.

I recently asked GA to dismiss an alarm on the phone to which it replied "you can do that in the app". So GA does also have limitations.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Good evening. I think you need to post this in the Google Community forum under the Assistant category. Fitbit has no control over what the Assistant / Google app does on our phone. Google News is hardwired to open on your phone regardless of whether you triggered it from your watch or your phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @TIFN8ER - the Google Assistant on the Fitbit watch has some limitations, it won't run routines anymore for instance.

As the interface is voice driven there may be some functions, like videos that it can't support so resorts to using the phone, after all it's a bit like a remote control of Google Assistant on the phone.

I recently asked GA to dismiss an alarm on the phone to which it replied "you can do that in the app". So GA does also have limitations.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer