Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an App that allows me to manually track my laps.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

For the last 2-3 years I was using my Ionic and I found this very simple app that just let me count my laps as I ran by pressing the screen/clicking the button on my watch. When I finished my runs I would manually record my stats in my notes as it didn't retain any information after the session ended.

Well my Ionic got recalled recently and I had to upgrade to the sense, but now I can't find that app.

For my training its incredibly important for me to be able to track my laps as I do a lot of my running in an Indoor Track in a gym I go to, so the track is much smaller. Smaller track = i have to run way more laps than normal so it makes it incredibly difficult to keep track of them in my head.

In addition the GPS works awful in there as well so that's largely inaccurate. 

Truly ANY assistance or suggestions I would truly truly appreciate as this has been a pain since transitioning to the new watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@t.parker   It's in my nature to tap push all the buttons and tap all the options to see how they work.  If you select Manual count, then it makes that manual count your top stat.  There is a little icon and you tap it as you complete  lap.  It works.

@Rriggs777   I tested this for the exact reason you describe -- being on a shorter indoor track.  Please try it.  You don't need another app.

Manual lap iconManual lap icon

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

Hello @Rriggs777 

I think you were using Indoor Track by FlyFrosty that was indeed very good as I used it as well with my defunct Ionic (dead much before te recall)

Unfortunately the app is not available for Sense/Versa 3 but the author @FlyFrosty is still active in this forum. He could either make a compatible version for you or release the source code so somebody else can make a port. Good luck.

Best Answer

You can track laps manually by changing it in settings (very unintuitive, I couldn't find it myself either). Go to Exercise, select Run and swipe up for options, scroll down to the Laps settings:

20220611_154152.jpg

The description is rather misleading. It will show an icon at the top of screen that you can tap to mark manual lap.

Saying that, using Sense for running... 🙄

Best Answer

@t.parker   It's in my nature to tap push all the buttons and tap all the options to see how they work.  If you select Manual count, then it makes that manual count your top stat.  There is a little icon and you tap it as you complete  lap.  It works.

@Rriggs777   I tested this for the exact reason you describe -- being on a shorter indoor track.  Please try it.  You don't need another app.

Manual lap iconManual lap icon

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

@LZeeW the description is misleading. The lap count appears where the top stat is located but itself it's not a stat (I don't consider an icon to tap a stat/metric). Otherwise, one would expect number of laps displayed as stat. I think Fitbit should rephrase it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

wow...right under my nose Thank you so much guys. I've been spending so much time combing through apps with none offering this. This will do just fine...it's a bit annoying have to double tap to get back to the clock but still ANYTHING works for me thanks so much everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very much appreciated! for sure this is cluch...now i can delete all these extra apps i dont need hahah

Best Answer
0 Votes

@t.parker   I think you should try it out so you see what you get.  When you tap the icon, the screen will briefly show the number of marked laps and your split at the bottom.  When you're finished, you see all you lap times on the screen before you end.  I'm seeing all of the information in the format I would expect to see.

@Rriggs777  I haven't used an Ionic in a few years.  So I don't remember if you could customize the screen.  You can customize and edit the items in the middle stat.  The current time is an available middle stat.  You don't need to go back to your main clock face.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeWedit: that's pointless. Apparently, I have different requirements when it comes to the clarity of UI (might be related to my job). Ionic had physical button to hit manual laps so there was no need to clutter the screen.

@Rriggs777 happy you have what you need 🙂

Best Answer

Hello all! I'm always amazed when people use an app I made for personal use.  I have not used my Fitbit in a while, but will be glad to try and update it when I get home next week. I will also post the code in Git then, too (just keep it free). 

Best Answer

And I'm always happy when people give their time for the others. Thanks for your help @FlyFrosty 

Best Answer

So...It's taking me a while to convert the old app to the new stuff.  I'm still working on it, but I'm going from a really early version with multiple buttons to the new software and a watch with one button.  At this point, I am going to re-write it from scratch.  I will probably do away with the small lap times during the run and only provide a lap summary at the end.  Any mods/requests?

If any programming geniuses want to crank it out quickly, here is the original source code...

https://github.com/FlyFrosty/Indoor-Track

Jeff

Best Answer

Version 1 is done.  It's greatly simplified (no pause function or mini lap times), but it works in the Fitbit Simulator.  Unfortunately, I do not have the actual hardware to test it any further.  Any volunteers shoot me a PM and I will send you the link.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I have it done.  Waiting to see if Fitbit accepts it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Published as "Indoor Lap Timer" for the Sense and Versa 3.  

Best Answer

So, please let me know if I understand this correctly - You wrote an app, that is compatible with the Sense (and previously the Ionic), that is a simple lap counter?  Is this correct?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. 

For the Sense:

https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/dbcf8db4-95e1-4197-a2f3-8d3259a19592

For the Ionic:

https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/225607a8-b697-41ee-84f7-aebfe5355cab

I used the Ionic one for years, but the Sense one is new and I do not have one to test it on IRL. 

Jeff

Best Answer
0 Votes