Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense essential functions require Premium subscription

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am thinking of buying the Fitbit Sense model but frankly I do not find much sense because in order to fully use its most important health functions it is practically essential to pay for the Fitbit App Premium subscription. So, at a cost of US $ 79.99 / year, in five years of use, I would be paying for the Fitbit Sense, approximately US $ 725.00.
I think Fitbit should reconsider this and at least lower Premiun's annual subscription by 50%.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@MG262 Yes, AFib & ECG is included as long as you live in the country that approved it. On day one in Hong Kong, followed by the US, and then UK (according to Fitbit VP Product in the interview for Wearable - " this side of xmas").

You also do not need premium to see your sleep analysis such as stages, score etc whatever you normally see. Behind premium there's only one sleep feature and that is sleep HR. You get separate HR chart for sleep duration.

SpO2 is also included and this time displaying % value. This should be already available on your older Versas If you updated the firmware and installed Fitbits SpO2 clockface.

What's coming behind paywall is additional analytics based on the data collected. This will be part of the new Dashboard. History, trends but also HRV, breaths per minute, relative temperature.

All previous features will be available along with improved HR algorithm and bunch of features mentioned earlier. My take on it that's what we're paying for when purchasing device. We are not paying for additional analytics and reporting. This becomes a service. It's like saying I bought a Pixel so now I want all google services for free. Just my two cents. 

ETA: @mikeyt1818 unfortunately if you had a premium trial you will not be eligible. The issue is all premium signups are managed either in Apple Store or Google Play Store. Fitbit has no control over the transactional entries here. Hence the problem. I know they've been looking into it. I wouldn't hold my breath tho.***

@SunsetRunner what questionable measurements? It went thru clinical trials before laid in front of FDA. The same FDA that approves all therapeutics and devices. 

***moderator edit: Customers who previously subscribed to Fitbit Premium and don’t have a current subscription can start the free trial with the purchase of Fitbit Sense or Fitbit Inspire 2.  Current Fitbit Premium subscribers can start the free trial after they cancel their premium subscription and then start the free trial with the purchase of an applicable Fitbit device.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
65 REPLIES 65

I 100% agree with you!  I've been a loyal fitbit user since 2014, and was so excited to upgrade to the sense at first.  But shortly after realized that not only are we paying a high-end price to own the device, but we won't be able to use all of its features unless we pay a monthly/yearly subscription fee of $80-120?? 

Frankly, this makes me want to consider switching brands altogether to a company that provides full functionality upfront.  Why am I paying a large price upfront and then not able to use the device features, that I am paying extra for, to their fullest capabilities??  I could understand paying premium for things like coaching, the workout programs, etc, but not functionality and analytics of the device's features.

Best Answer

Dear Laliza, your approach and consideration is more accurate than mine. Fitbit SHOULD release the App to all functional and analytical relationships of Fitbit Sense, and in general of all its products, and, apart, consider Premium via subscription payment things like coaching, the workout programs, etc. and CHARGE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for functionality and analytics of the device's features.

Best Answer

... And definitely, if Fitbit does not comply with this ethical principle, I will have to look for another alternative and permanently move away from Fitbit.

Best Answer

You do realize that price is only for new users and subject to change on subsequent years, right? So essentially, it could very well be more in the following year. I agree that the significant extra money paid should include the services it was designed for. It seems like a money grab at the expense of the health conscious. However, instead of simply complaining, I offer a solution as well (though, there will be people who will complain anyway and claim unfairness somehow): for those of us who purchase the Sense, we should get the premium services. Anyone who purchases other styles (for those only wanting a cool looking smartwatch or just to track a couple of things like running and biking) they have to purchase the services separately.

To counter my own solution, would premium services then be worth an extra dollar amount for the price of the watch? To me, I would be willing to pay more for permanent premium services than the compounding interests of annual subscription costs. When comparing other watches that offer full service with functionality, these are usually priced upwards of $500+. I've seen some totaling near $1000 USD! I suppose $450 would be my max offer, which would certainly be better than the $750 over five years. Which brings me to another point, will the watch last that long. My current (Ionic) is over 4+, as I bought it when it first came out - though, I've never taken it swimming. I've definitely never considered taking it to the ocean, as it is supposed to be able to handle without problems, though I've heard otherwise. This one (Sense) has a microphone and speaker, so how will that survive water? 

Best Answer

They want recurrent money on monthly basis. It's all about getting your hard-earned money, again and again, no matter if you bought their product.

Fitbit premium is too overpriced in my opinion. Should be at least 50% discounted, and for customers who will buy new Fitbit should get 2 years free Fitbit premium to unlock the features supported by the specific device. In 2 years you can pay a subscription or buy new Fitbit to get another 2 years. Anything else its just marketing trick that shows how much Fitbit respects its customers. I'm talking about anything that is related to the user data. For the coach part of the app, first had the Fitbit Coach. It can continue separate for them who are interested. 

Best Answer

This is a deal breaker for me. What a cash grab. I pay for the more expensive watch and cannot use the features without paying an annual fee/monthly subscription. Thanks for nothing. What BS.

Best Answer

Wow. I preordered the sense but I agree with you guys. This actually upsetting. I don't know if I want it anymore now. 

Fitbit, this isn't right. 

Best Answer

Keep your order. I live chatted with them yesterday and found out there really isn't much difference. There's a link in the description of What is Premium? that says it's basically coaching, workouts, and more in-depth analysis of sleep states. Which, doesn't get used much anyway, since we still get the sleep score and SPO2 analysis for free. It is just something extra they are doing to help folks during Pandemic. It turns out, it's actually a really nice gesture. I'm logging on to pre-order my Sense and wanted to reach out to you first, before you cancel order on the best watch they've ever made. Stay safe, stay healthy,  and have a peaceful evening. 

Best Answer

It turns out the Premium is just something extra they are doing for the current pandemic. I live chatted with them yesterday and asked about the Premium service and whether or not the Sense would function as designed without it. They assured me it was and that the only thing Premium would do was allow availability to coaching, workouts, and a deeper analysis of sleep scores. I don't know of anyone really needing that, so in other words. Everything is good to go. I'm ordering mine now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Turns out, the Premium services was just an addon to help with the pandemic, to give people the opportunity to use coaching and workouts while some are still in lockdown. I live chatted with them yesterday and they assured me of this and the functionality of the watch would not be affected in any way. I think the problem is they didn't write this clear enough. It certainly appears like a money grab; however, I told them of this conversation and the person I was chatting with was supposed to follow up sometime in the next few days. Currently, they have a lot of calls and chats with all of the new gear. However, I think sooner would be better, if they don't want to continue in confusing customers and inadvertently turning them away. I'm not married to the brand, though I am a long time user, but I have been mollified by the in-depth answers I recieved and will be pre-ordering the Sense. Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a peaceful evening. 

Best Answer

In regards to the differences in sleep tracking between a standard account and a premium account, yes that is pretty accurate. But, from several sources I have found that some of the new features' analytics are hidden behind the premium membership:

"Fitbit Premium’s new Health Metrics dashboard goes further, helping you track breathing rate (average breaths per minute), resting heart rate, heart rate variability (variation of time between each heartbeat), and skin temperature variation (surfaced through the dedicated sensor on Fitbit Sense and through existing sensors on other Fitbit devices). If you are a Premium member with a compatible device, you will see these daily metrics and trends over time to see potential changes to your wellbeing. Premium members can track SpO2 trends over time in the Health Metrics dashboard to see indications of important changes to their fitness and wellness."

In other words, you need to pay for premium to experience the full benefits of the new features on your $330 fitness watch.

Best Answer

During a live chat I had with customer service, I asked about the functionality of the watch and whether or not the Premium service would affect them. They assured me it would not, in any way, and that they were including the additional service to help out during pandemic. The only thing Premium does is allow access to coaching, workouts, and a more in depth analysis of sleep habits. It still gives the sleep score and SPO2 for free without it. The chat was lengthy and very detailed and by the end I was thoroughly satisfied with the answers I got. So, I've returned here to share my knowledge and to assuage any fears of Sense not doing as built to do. It will. No worries. I'm going to pre-order now, just wanted to take the opportunity to help out folks here first. Stay safe, stay healthy,  and have a peaceful evening. 

Best Answer

What you affirm is correct. So is. There are several important analytics related to the Sense WHICH SHOULD NOT BE SUBJECT to extra payment.

Best Answer

The solution is very simple, IF and only IF, Fitbit will want it: Release all the analytics related to the Sense, essential parts of the main reasons why we, the users, the buyers, will decide to buy the Sense.

Best Answer

That's a good find. I read that and when I was comparing it to other brands watches, I didn't see any that did anything similar to what the Sense would do without the Premium service. The other smartwatches that had some of the health benefits costs way more too. 

I would like every thing possible unlocked and to fully experience the maximum benefits of the watch without subscribing; however, when I thought about it, I don't really look at all of the metrics the free version has all the time, so I don't need the special features of the Premium service anyhow. 

I understand how it might be something people want to track and would possibly pay for as a one time price, if it were available. I would certainly be willing to pay up to $450 for all the features. However, I can't reasonably expect a company to put out a health heavy smartwatch (because let's face it, the Apple does okay but only okay and it doesn't have all of these features) and also do so under the cost of many of the competing brands. This is especially so since I haven't found anything else with the particular combination of fitness tracking/phone-less smart abilities/health tracking. I suppose this time next year, when Apple copies it and renames the components and puts it out for $800, there will be a similar alternative, but until then, I'm happy with what Fitbit is offering here. I think it's fair. Plus, it is a business and they do need to make something from it. As a business owner, I can easily understand that.

Of course, this is for my needs. Naturally, it will be different for you and all the others here and elsewhere. I personally want to track my outdoors activities and have it to track my heart rate better, everything else is cherry on top. Well, except for the phone capabilities of text, email, and etc. I don't like being available all of the time, it simply isn't healthy. However, there is the new Do Not Disturb mode that will help with that.

In essence, this seems to be a perfect balance for me and, given what's currently available in the fitness market, I think this suits wonderfully. I don't know how much any of those extras would matter to me, or how much anyone else, even with the free subscription will actually use them, but to each his or her own.

Thanks for the information and the time to find it and respond, I really appreciate it! I hope you find what you're looking for and you're welcome to share it with me, if you like. Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a peaceful evening! 

Best Answer

Well stated. Everyone has a different need but I will say that with my Versa 2 I had premium for 3 months and then cancelled because I had more than enough useful info from the non premium service. I like to track my heart rate especially during power walks, I have sleep apnea and the sleep tracking is amazing and I expect better things from the Sense. My wife has sold her Apple Watch as she tired of using third party apps for sleep tracking and the new Apple Watch will have native sleep tracking that is not up to par with the likes of Fitbit. I look forward to receiving my new Sense. 

Best Answer

I ordered the Sense, and the free six-month Premium subscription. That should be plenty of time for me to figure out whether I will really want or use the extra things that come with Premium; if I don’t, I’ll just cancel it before the free trial runs out.

Original Flex (March 2014); Charge HR; Alta HR; Original Versa; Inspire; Sense; Charge 5; Inspire 2
Best Answer

That's great. My wife and I would do the same but we already had free premium trials with our Versa 2's. From what I've read we will not be extended the free trials again. Can anybody confirm that for me? 

Best Answer

Thanks and I appreciate the response! I hope you both do well and enjoy the journey! Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a peaceful evening! 

Best Answer