Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Fitbit Sense support WiFi Capture portal?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Any chance the Fitbit Sense will support WiFi capture portals?

This ability would provide safety and minimize  ‘unplugged anxiety’ as the ability to ‘check in’ whilst running or cycling past WiFi spots to sync messages or make brief voice calls to check status at home would negate the need for a phone entirely and add extra peace of mind to ones exercise regime.

In Australia, many street side public phone booths provide capture portal WiFi - the ability to notify family of an incident - flat bike  tyre / other delay via WiFi capture portal access would win me back to Fitbit....well that.. and 1 or 2 hours of mp3/mp4 music storage ability on the Fitbit Sense.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. All of your account info is on your phone and on the Fitbit servers. The tracker has nothing but your unsync'd fitness data on it and daily summary data. 

As to phone calls, there is no SIM in the tracker and no way to identify you to make wifi calls even if your carrier allowed wifi calling. Many do not. Even with your phone you can take bluetooth calls, but you cannot make them.

Interesting comment about syncing without your phone. In the old days (old trackers) if you forgot your phone at work but someone else had a Fitbit with the bluetooth dongle on their computer sometimes your tracker would sync if the PC was being used to sync. It would sometimes sync any tracker in the area. But,that was the old trackers and Fitbit operating system. I don't know if that was intentional, but it was helpful to some.

Best Answer

I hear you - Shame - Capture portals just use  a WiFi user and password... but thread their entry via a webpage.... If you know your user/pass - you can almost do it on competing fruit based watches but they hobble it.  (Yes I know they provide apps to login to capture portals but it’s all smoke and mirrors - ... perhaps some login caching but other than that - fairly simple behind the scenes) Was hoping FitBit Watch would allow keyboard-like user/pass entry for general  WiFi connection...at that point you are halfway there. From memory it might be the case capture portals require 5Ghz WiFi... that might be the show stopper.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh - and to clarify - I meant IP based phone calls via What’sApp or similar - not cell based

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seeing as previous Fitbit devices don't support WiFi captive portals thus allowing you to connect to public hotspots, I'd say it's safe to assume the Sense won't be any different.

Seeing as Fitbit's only use WiFi for faster FW downloads and app updates, it would be quite useless anyway. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer