Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what point is poor sleep unhealthy

Hello everyone!

I was reading some of the threads on the subject of sleep, and sleep quality. It seems I am not unique in my sleep graphs, but I was wondering when restlessness becomes a red-flag. I understand a lack of REM sleep is bad for the body and mind. 

I take hours to fall asleep, and it is not abnormal for me to have one night aweek where I simply do not sleep. I have an ambien prescription, but I've been on it for a couple of years so my tolerance is relatively high. Should I approach my physician with the results recorded by my FitBit Surge?

- as a general overview I averaged 5.35 hours of sleep a night. These nights usually consist of anywhere from 9-12 hours "asleep."IMG_1584.PNG

IMG_1585.PNG

IMG_1586.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@Kevin.M

Which sensitivity do you have selected? If it is set to sensitive you could set it to normal and see if there is a difference, but from what you tell I get that the graphs reflect your experience. I think it is good if you see your physician about it to see if a sleep study can be done. When in doubt about something related to your health always see your physician, even if it is only to take the doubt away.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

Before you spend the money at the doctor and on a sleep study, assuming you have an S/O in bed with you most nights, ask them.  They can provide some detail (are you sleeping through the night, are you rolling over, do you kick, etc,)  Most likely if you aren't sleeping then they aren't either.

Also make sure your fitbit is set to regular, not sensitive, for sleeping.  

Best Answer
0 Votes