Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a New Mattress

Hi Fitbit sleepers!

I'm considering getting a new mattress, to help enhance sleep, and don't really know the best way to go about finding a mattress that will work.  It seems like going to a store and just laying on a mattress for a couple of minutes isn't going to tell me what spending a night on it is like.

Any tips on choosing the right mattress? I have a pre-existing back issue, and have always preferred more firm support. Currently, I use a very firm foam mattress with a mattress topper for a little more softness.

It just dawned on me how much effort and money we spend on choosing cars. Considering how much time we spend in bed vs. in a car, I'd like to upgrade my sleep situation. Any feedback or tips appreciated.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

deleted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please, don't troll my thread.

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDaveywrote:

Please, don't troll my thread.

I apologize. It wasn't meant as trolling. I'll delete the post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I am looking for advice on finding the optimal mattress, and assumed your advice that I sleep in a tent was not serious.

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Other than trying it out yourself, I don’t think there’s much advice to give. I personally love the pillow-top mattress. I think it’s firm but with some extra padding for a bit of cushiness. I also have a mattress protector on it so it adds a slight thickness to it. It’s much more comfortable than a mattress topper which what I had before too. I have no experience with a foam mattress but I once bought a foam pillow. I threw it out the next day. Kinked up my neck really bad. I can’t imagine a foam mattress being any more comfortable than that pillow. I think if you do try out some mattresses, try laying on it in the position you usually sleep in. If it were me, I would bring a pillow to really see how comfortable it is.

Best Answer

There are a new generation of mattresses using a different business model than the traditional one. You can try them for 100 nights and if you are not happy they pick it up back free of charge. 10 year warranty, delivery at home included in the price. Those mattresses have 3 layers of foam. 

The first company to do this is Casper, which is US based: https://casper.com/mattresses/casper-essential/

With their success other startups followed. I have one of those, from Tediber. I sleep really well, the support is great (I also do have back issues), it is not warm. Also the materials are designed to avoid propagate movement. If your partness is restless it will not disturbed you. 

It is worth looking at those. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Buying a new mattress is really a tough job. I mean you need to check out many things just to find a mattress which helps you to get proper sleep.

Yes, It is really awkward to lie down and give try to the mattress before you plunk down the credit card.
still, I can give advice like sit on the edge of the mattress to get a feel for its firmness. and if you are looking for a mattress for a couple and you both have to must try.
Before buying a mattress just confirm the returns and trial periods.

Best Answer
0 Votes