Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catching up on sleep without ruining sleep patterns

I have to wake up at 5.15 every day for work. I aim to be in bed around 10 but I also need to get more sleep. I don't want to go to bed any earlier but try and catch extra sleep at the weekend.

I've just read this is not a good idea. Any thoughts?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I'm pretty similar--I try to be in bed by 11 p.m. and get up around 5:40 (ugh) to do my exercise. I also sleep later on weekends. I've been taking melatonin because I have a bit of trouble sleeping, and even though my sleep patterns aren't improved, I feel more rested when I wake up. I forgot to take it last night and notice a difference.

Maybe our patterns are not the best, but when you have a busy life, what can you do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @AlanJB and @DanielleinDC,

For me, there is a big difference. Getting some extras hours of sleep during the weekend helps, but not near as much as adding even a half hour to each night's sleep during the week. The weekend sleep gives some relief, but it's adding time onto the other 5 days of the week is what really gets one out of sleep debt.

A lot of the recuperative value of sleep is based on having a regular schedule.

But like @DanielleinDC said, we do what we can.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

are you sleeping soundly or are you waking up? I ask because 7 hours of good quality sleep seems pretty good. I would love that. I am in bed for 7 hours but I average about 4 hours of good sleep which most days is OK, but on others I feel exhausted. I don't ever feel like I catch up on sleep- it doesn't take away the exhaustion on the day I feel it so I typically don't bother. I do however, once in awhile take a cat nap on the weekends. That makes me feel so much better and ready for the rest of the day...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I have two little girls so one or both wake up every night. On average I have an hour awake amongst the sleep I do get...

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's not bad at all. Since you only need to catch up a little sleep, weekend naps might work well for you.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer