Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 showing some of my awake time as deep or REM sleep. What am I doing wrong?

I sleep very poorly, and felt that my FitBit wasn't tracking quite right. So I found an app for my phone that records sound all night long. I frequently wake up - wide awake - for at least 5 minutes at a time. When I do, I simply say I'm 'I'm Awake' and the phone records my voice with a time stamp. Comparing those time stamps with my Charge 2 sleep record shows at least once or twice a night, the Charge 2 says I'm in REM or Deep sleep when I was wide awake. I have it set to sensitive. Any suggestions on how to improve the readings?

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @bonnilin,

Let's look at how the phone app you're using works, vs. how the tracker detects sleep.

Your phone app knows when you're awake, because you're saying "I'm awake".  So it doesn't have to figure anything out--it just goes by what you say.

The fitbit is going to look at your motion to determine if your asleep. So if you're laying in bed saying "I'm awake", there's no movement that would tell the tracker you're actually awake.

As an example, when I meditate, because I'm sitting mostly motionless, the fitbit will start sleep logging. Sometimes late-night movie watching will trigger it also. I just go into the app and remove the entry. 

The other solution I've found that works, is when you wake up, actually sit up in bed, or even just wave the arm the fitbit is on around a little bit, so it knows you're actually awake. 

That's all I know on the subject. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I think because I am so restless when I am awake it reads my sleep pretty accurately... but if I lay on the couch reading or watching TV - it will say I was asleep. so I move around a bit when I am truly awake so it reads it more accurately.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer