Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Sleep Log? Change your settings!

Hi sleepy Community members!

Does your sleep log look something like this?

sleep log restless.png

If you think your log is inaccurate when it shows this much restlessness, you're not alone! A lot of Fitbit users have sleep logs like this, and many times it's due to the fact that Sleep settings are on "Sensitive" mode instead of "Normal" mode. A little about these two modes:

• The normal setting counts significant movements as being awake (such as rolling over) and is appropriate for most users.
  • The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

We strongly suggest that most users use the Normal setting. To change your settings to Normal, follow these steps, or visit our help article!

• To change your setting in the Fitbit iOS app, go to Account Advanced Settings > Sleep Sensitivity.
  • To change your setting in the fitbit.com dashboard, go to Settings > Devices > scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any trouble changing this setting or if you have seen a difference in the accuracy of your sleep log after switching!

Best Answer
521 REPLIES 521

It's possible to be awake 81 times and not know it. I have sleep apnea and when I took my first sleep test it showed I was awke over 100 times a night.

Tuner

Best Answer

Hello Herman,

Thank you for your getting back to us regarding your Fitbit Charge 2. We really appreciate the information you've provided and for sharing with us that your wife syncs her tracker with her cell phone and computer as well.

We would like to apologize that we sent you the instruction to update the Fitbit application, However, you need to update the tracker it self. We'd be delighting with some steps to update the Fitbit Charge 2.

Your Fitbit tracker has a pending update on its operating system, Please follow the instruction below:
1.. your tracker came with a wireless sync dongle, make sure its plugged into a USB port on your computer.
2.. Unless you installed Fitbit Connect for the first time recently, verify that you're using the latest version:
1.. Click the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer.

If you cannot find the icon, you may need to reinstall Fitbit Connect from http://www.fitbit.com/setup.

2.. Click Open Main Menu...
3.. Click Troubleshooting.
4.. Below the Fitbit Connect number, click Check for updates.
3.. Go back to the main menu and click Check for device update.
4.. When prompted, log in to your Fitbit account. Fitbit Connect will sync your tracker and then look for a firmware update. If an update is found, Fitbit Connect will display a progress bar until the update finishes. If your tracker has a screen, you'll also see a progress bar there.
5.. Keep your tracker close to the computer during the update, which may take several minutes. When the update is done you'll see a confirmation message and your tracker will restart. You're all set.
6.. If the update fails to complete, try again. If it fails a second time, see Why can't I update my tracker?
On the other hand, we would like to share with you, our compatible link, so you can verify what other devices you can use with your tracker. Please click here: https://www.fitbit.com/devices

If you have any other inquiry, don't hesitate to reach out. We remain at your disposition and we would be more than glad to assist you.

Sincerely,

Join the growing Fitbit Community! Get answers. Stay motivated. Find Fitbit friends.

ref:_00D40N2lj._5000b1A9qch:ref

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Hello Herman,

Thank you for your getting back to us regarding your Fitbit Charge 2. We really appreciate the information you've provided and for sharing with us that your wife syncs her tracker with her cell phone and computer as well.

We would like to apologize that we sent you the instruction to update the Fitbit application, However, you need to update the tracker it self. We'd be delighting with some steps to update the Fitbit Charge 2.

Your Fitbit tracker has a pending update on its operating system, Please follow the instruction below:
1.. your tracker came with a wireless sync dongle, make sure its plugged into a USB port on your computer.
2.. Unless you installed Fitbit Connect for the first time recently, verify that you're using the latest version:
1.. Click the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer.

If you cannot find the icon, you may need to reinstall Fitbit Connect from http://www.fitbit.com/setup.

2.. Click Open Main Menu...
3.. Click Troubleshooting.
4.. Below the Fitbit Connect number, click Check for updates.
3.. Go back to the main menu and click Check for device update.
4.. When prompted, log in to your Fitbit account. Fitbit Connect will sync your tracker and then look for a firmware update. If an update is found, Fitbit Connect will display a progress bar until the update finishes. If your tracker has a screen, you'll also see a progress bar there.
5.. Keep your tracker close to the computer during the update, which may take several minutes. When the update is done you'll see a confirmation message and your tracker will restart. You're all set.
6.. If the update fails to complete, try again. If it fails a second time, see Why can't I update my tracker?
On the other hand, we would like to share with you, our compatible link, so you can verify what other devices you can use with your tracker. Please click here: https://www.fitbit.com/devices

If you have any other inquiry, don't hesitate to reach out. We remain at your disposition and we would be more than glad to assist you.

Sincerely,
Join the growing Fitbit Community! Get answers. Stay motivated. Find Fitbit friends.
ref:_00D40N2lj._5000b1A9qch:ref

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
I think any restless leg would show as awake
Best Answer
So do I, or I used to, cpap now

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer
So do I, or I used to, cpap now

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer
Warranty

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer
Warranty

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer
Submitted content: What works for me...................

no caffeine after breakfast,

I keep a ritual before bed time

brush my hair 100 strokes,

brush teeth,

wash face

Walk about the house to lock windows and doors

and put out any hot spots [check iron is unplugged no damp drinking glasses on wood tables

lay out clothes for next day.

no scary tv like the news

Bed is for sleeping so I try to read in my chair.

I strap a spike collar on my ankle to break the habit of crossing of my feet at night

I take a small cooler to bed with me it has 1 bottle of frozen water and two 8 oz bottles of Nighty nite tea
1 I drink to take my bed time meds

one for an emergency drink

when I hit the bed

I pray for our country and the world then leave all in His hands

I turn on my meditation relaxation tape
I'm asleep before the second set of relaxation exercises.

I hope that you find what works for you........................... as sleep is soooo important.
Took me 70 years to find my personal formula. Hope that you can be quicker.

VJW-65

class of 1965
Best Answer
Submitted content: What works for me...................

no caffeine after breakfast,

I keep a ritual before bed time

brush my hair 100 strokes,

brush teeth,

wash face

Walk about the house to lock windows and doors

and put out any hot spots [check iron is unplugged no damp drinking glasses on wood tables

lay out clothes for next day.

no scary tv like the news

Bed is for sleeping so I try to read in my chair.

I strap a spike collar on my ankle to break the habit of crossing of my feet at night

I take a small cooler to bed with me it has 1 bottle of frozen water and two 8 oz bottles of Nighty nite tea
1 I drink to take my bed time meds

one for an emergency drink

when I hit the bed

I pray for our country and the world then leave all in His hands

I turn on my meditation relaxation tape
I'm asleep before the second set of relaxation exercises.

I hope that you find what works for you........................... as sleep is soooo important.
Took me 70 years to find my personal formula. Hope that you can be quicker.

VJW-65

class of 1965
Best Answer
Thx very much
I have no issue with sleep, just my fitbit

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer
Thx very much
I have no issue with sleep, just my fitbit

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer
Great. I just kept doing what was suggested by Fitbit support. We decided my Fitbit is defective and are replacing it no charge
Best Answer
Great. I just kept doing what was suggested by Fitbit support. We decided my Fitbit is defective and are replacing it no charge
Best Answer

I am alternating between wearing my Charge HR for workouts and the Alta HR for sleeping. The Alta can't be "started" for the exercise period and never gets it right...way too little time or too much and never shows my peak workout periods which the Charge HR does very accurately. But the Charge HR has NEVER registered a correct sleep period in two years whereas the Alta HR does pretty well most nights with showing the fluxuation of sleep periods and still more or less registering the entire night.

Still, the vibration for phone calls, alarms, texts, etc. on the Alta HR is completely useless...almost nonexistent.  So should I wear BOTH the Charge (for an alarm) and the Alta at night so I can both register sleep AND wake up at the alarm time? What happens if I do??

Best Answer
I just had a visit with a sleep doctor who had recently returned from a big conference on sleep. The info he got from there was that Fitbit and other sleep monitors were not reliable. I still check mine but I take it with a grain of salt, almost like it's entertainment not science. My opinion is that if you set it to normal and it shows poor sleep AND you feel tired all the time then visit a professional sleep doctor, you may have a problem. Same goes for the heart monitor. It's fun but not accurate enough to bet your life on. I check my HR against the macines at the gym every day (ok, 4-5 days a week) and it will be off by up to 30 beats pm. Which one is right? Who knows? That's the point, it's more of a guideline not exact. Now having said that I am going to my dashboard to see what my sleep was like last night!
Best Answer
My sleep log is totally erratic. Even if I get a good nights sleep - as verified by my wife - it still Gomes up that I was awake several times and my sleep hours were low. On the other hand when I know that I have had a poor night - getting up several times to the loo- it comes back that I have slept soundly wit no red lines??

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
My sleep log is totally erratic. Even if I get a good nights sleep - as verified by my wife - it still Gomes up that I was awake several times and my sleep hours were low. On the other hand when I know that I have had a poor night - getting up several times to the loo- it comes back that I have slept soundly wit no red lines??

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Great post

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer
Great post

Cheers,
Ken
Best Answer