Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Alta to Alta HR, Changes in Sleep

My mom and I both had Altas, and both of us would average around 3-4 hours of sleep per night, my husband would average 6-7. Now that we've upgraded to Alta HRs this week, I've noticed that my sleep has jumped up to 7-8 hours!  WHAT?  The first night I was so restless and nervous about my new Fitbit, I barely slept, but it counted 7 hours, I definitely didn't feel like I got that much sleep. I went to check the sleep sensitivity setting, and it was set to sensitive. The next night, it said I got 8 hours. This has never happened. I'm so confused. Does the Alta (original) count light sleep as restless, and therefore doesn't put it into the overall sleep total? I can't figure out any other reason for this.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @galaga6846,

Cool name! Yes, the sleep tracking with the Alta HR is a bit different. The new sleep stages aren't broken down as restless/awake.

I find it's possible to lay in bed awake, but still, and have the tracker think it was light sleep. I also get better results using sleep set to normal rather than sensitive. You may want to try it and see if it works better.

Can you share for one of these nights, how much time in Awake, Light, Deep and REM? It might help to figure out the pattern.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

23549550_10212362122220925_1981380564_n.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a good amount of waking up (the larger red areas). Other than that, it doesn't look bad.  Of course you'll know if you're really sleeping or not. You may want to try the restless/awake sleep mode one night to compare. Just turn off the HR monitor during sleep (in the app settings), and you'll see the old style sleep breakdown.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes