Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Sleep Log? Change your settings!

Hi sleepy Community members!

Does your sleep log look something like this?

sleep log restless.png

If you think your log is inaccurate when it shows this much restlessness, you're not alone! A lot of Fitbit users have sleep logs like this, and many times it's due to the fact that Sleep settings are on "Sensitive" mode instead of "Normal" mode. A little about these two modes:

• The normal setting counts significant movements as being awake (such as rolling over) and is appropriate for most users.
  • The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

We strongly suggest that most users use the Normal setting. To change your settings to Normal, follow these steps, or visit our help article!

• To change your setting in the Fitbit iOS app, go to Account Advanced Settings > Sleep Sensitivity.
  • To change your setting in the fitbit.com dashboard, go to Settings > Devices > scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any trouble changing this setting or if you have seen a difference in the accuracy of your sleep log after switching!

Best Answer
519 REPLIES 519
My sleep log in no way reflects the quality and times of my sleep

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
FitBit’s are not any good for recording sleep for a lot of people.
Best Answer

Nor mine. I'm often awake but not moving enough for it to register, because I'm trying to go back to sleep. I wish that there was an option between "normal" and "sensitive." 

Best Answer

hi there, maybe u just sleep walking ? goin to the gym do ur exercise got back home straight to bed. Smiley LOL

Best Answer

I have the same problem.  My Charge 2 shows my sleep time as 39 minutes when I believe I've jad a good nights sleep. My previous FB's showed that I generally get 7.5 - 8.5 hours a night.  So I can only thonk the device is faulty.

Best Answer

I have often wondered how accurate the sleep log is now I know it is complete BS.   Mine is set to normal, just FYI.    This morning the log said I was in DEEP SLEEP from 4:03-4:17.   Nope!   My alarm went off at 4:00 and I got right out of bed and I was in the bathroom washing my face and brushing my teeth during the time FB said I was in DEEP SLEEP.    Honestly?   I can't wait until this FB breaks, and it will- it's the third one I have had - so I can justify buying a new device and it won't be FB.   When I run I track my runs on FB and STRAVA - FB is always way off.     

Best Answer

Thank you Kathy for your assertions.  My fitbit won't even recognize my computer anymore. they say that i you phone the company will send you a new one. But I have concluded that it is not worth the time and effort. It is a piece of junk. I have seen little evidence that anyone in the company tracks these conversations or listens to what is wrong.  As long as their hype (Father's Day eg) is selling product I guess they have no motivation to improve things. A class action suit might help but again hardly worth the cost and effort. I am down to using it to track steps and the timer to cook steak on the barbecue. 

Best Answer

Completely agree it is a piece of junk.   The steps aren't accurate either, in case you don't know that already 🙂    I have met my step goal for the day just by tying my shoes.......it does work as a watch pretty well 🙂   I just wonder how they stay in business.    Oh well, not my problem

Best Answer

When I use sensitive, it does not record any sleep. Is this normal? Or is my Fitbit Charge 2 defective?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My settings are correctly set on normal but for the last three weeks I have been getting sleep logs for only 4/5 hours. I am regular routine of 10pm to 6:30am on most days. What’s up with the app?

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Blaze and my sleep log is so wrong. Up to about 3 weeks ago it worked with an average of 6 to 7 hrs of sleep a night. What has happened with the sleep log?

Best Answer
The Fitbit does not register accurately for people with sleep disorders. It can’t tell if u r asleep or awake, therefor it does not record. This is my personal experience and opinion.
Best Answer

I'd have to disagree. Here's my log from last night...clearly it's getting everything WHEN it chooses to...I'm thinking it must move from it's ideal location on my wrists some nights. (You'll have to scroll right and down to see the whole log.)

sleep.jpg

Best Answer

I don't see a way to change the setting from sensitive to normal, and I can't even get that little chart you showed. All I see is a bar chart that shows I slept 8 hours with NO waking, No restlessness, etc. Wrong. Is there any living person working with Fitbit we can ask questions? I feel like I'm sitting out here in space and none of the "help" questions addresses any of the questions I've had since I got my new Fitbit. The old one was no problem as far as getting into on the dashboard, but it fell apart and I had to get this one. 😞  I look at the Dashboard and there's basically next to no correct info there, or a way to set anything.  Help!

Best Answer

My doctor said she doesn't trust any of these gadgets--she wants to do a sleep study. She says, basically, I can use my Fitbit to sort of track things, but can't count on any accuracy. Right now, I cana't even get my new Fitbit to show me anything! It just said I've slept the hours I entered as the ones to be tracked, and says no restlessness or waking, which is grossly inaccurate. A sleep study (irritating though it may be) is probalby the most accurate way to know what your body is doing during sleep. Although I always have my doubts about how I can be sleeping at all given the distraction of all the wires they glue onto me.

Best Answer
Try the “help” it is on the very bottom of the Dashboard. There r FAQ’s also a chat line.
Best Answer

Thanks. I'll ahve to look for the chat line. I didn't see that before.

Best Answer

All detailed info about sleep/exercise is found on the dashboard on either your device's app or online dashboard. To see sleep detail your phone app, touch the main dashboard sleep result (little arc over the moon), scroll down below the bar graph to the night in question and see a mini-version of the graph like I posted. Touch that graph and get the full playout like I posted. Same process works for getting details on your run/exercise. On line, follow a similar process to get the detailed info.

Best Answer

Changing your settings usually is done on the app but I've forgotten where (or IF) you can change sensitivity on the app. Use the online dashboard, choose the gear (settings) in the top right corner of the page and select your device. On the main part of the page, choose sleep tracking. You can adjust sensitivity there. But candidly, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I found that I get results like yours (no detail) if the fitbit is to snug on my arm. I get better results if it's pretty loose on my arm.

Best Answer

I agree with your physician...except when I had all that stuff on me, I didn't sleep at ALL!! The whole exercise was useless. Even the little deal just on my finger kept me tossing.

Best Answer