Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Sleep Stages, Insights, and Bedtime Reminders on tracker

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey Community!

We have three exciting new sleep features to announce today: sleep stages, sleep insights, and bedtime reminders on your tracker. You’re sleeping for about a third of the time you’re wearing your Fitbit tracker, so we’re eager to provide even more information about those hours!

Sleep Stages

Sleep stages are an important part of your night’s rest because your body and mind recover as you cycle through these stages. If you have Fitbit Alta HR or Fitbit Blaze, simply wear your tracker to sleep and open the Fitbit app in the morning to see a record of your sleep stages. Sleep Stages will be available on Charge 2 at a later date. 

This is a top feature suggestion that has gained over 1500 votes in just over a year, and we've been hard at work building this feature. Sleep stages bring additional information to our sleep tracking feature so you can see how much time you spend in light sleep, deep sleep, or REM sleep each night. Here’s a little bit about each stage.:

Light sleep:

Light sleep promotes mental and physical recovery and serves as the entry point into sleep each night as your body unwinds and slows down.

Deep sleep:

Deep sleep promotes physical recovery and aspects of memory and learning and typically occurs in the first few hours of sleep.

REM sleep (or Rapid Eye Movement):

The stage associated with vivid dreams, REM sleep has been shown to be important to mood regulation, learning, and memory.

You’ll also likely notice awake minutes throughout the night, as a typical adult may wake up anywhere from 10 to 30 times at night. You might not remember waking up since you likely fell right back asleep, especially if you were awake for less than 2-3 minutes at a time.

Learn more by visiting our Sleep Stages Blog article here!

Awake, light sleep, deep sleep, and REM Sleep are represented by different colors in your sleep stages graph.rtaImage.png

Your sleep stages graph will show the time spent in each stage during the night, your 30 day average, and a benchmark of where you fall in comparison to people of your same age and gender.

-Today: This is the breakdown of your sleep stages for the previous night.

-30 Day Avg: This is the average amount of time spent in each sleep stage over the past 30 days (or, if you don’t have 30 days worth of Sleep Stage data, it will give you an average over however many days you’ve logged using Sleep Stages).

-Benchmark: This compares your data with that of other people in your same age range and gender. Keep in mind that everyone’s sleep patterns vary, and you may notice your sleep data falls outside of this typical range from time to time. If you have any concerns about your sleep patterns, please consult your doctor.

For more detailed help content, check out our help article all about Sleep Stages.

Sleep Stages FAQ:

Will I be able to have both Sleep Stages and Sleep pattern on my app, or toggle back and forth between both?

Although you won’t have the option to toggle back and forth between Sleep Stages and Classic Sleep, there are a couple of different instances where we may not be able to gather enough info for a stages log, and therefore you may see a sleep pattern graph. For example, if you slept less than three hours, you’ll receive a classic log. You also might see classic sleep if you slept in a position where your tracker couldn’t detect your heart rate.

Will my past sleep logs show sleep stage information?

No, your past sleep logs won’t contain sleep stages but you’ll continue to see your sleep pattern (time spent awake, restless, and asleep).

Can I see sleep stages on my fitbit.com dashboard?

Yes! You'll be able to see your sleep stages by clicking the sleep tile on your fitbit.com dashboard.

Can you tell me if I have sleep apnea or another sleep disorder?

Your sleep stages data helps you track your patterns and notice variations. If you have any concerns about your sleep health we recommend sharing the information with your doctor. A good source of additional information is the National Sleep Foundation.

Sleep Insights

Have you ever wondered how to improve your sleep, but don't know where to start? We’re here to help! Sleep insights in the Fitbit app are little tidbits of information and suggestions that are based on your personal sleep data. The more sleep you log, the more insights you’ll receive as we base some of your insights off of your sleep data.

Bedtime Reminders on Your Tracker

This is Bedtime Reminders taken a step further to help you get to sleep on time. If you track sleep sleep with Fitbit Alta HR you’ll receive a bedtime reminder on your phone and on your tracker. Bedtime reminders will be available on Charge 2 at a later date. Check out our help article for detailed information on how to set a reminder!

Best Answer
0 REPLIES 0