Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this bad?

I thought I slept horribly so I got a Fitbit to confirm what I thought. After 2 months I average 3-4 hours of sleep and I am restless 20-25 times per 8 hours. Is this bad?
Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

image.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jnadeau to me it looks like you changed your sleep setting from normal to sensitive.. You want it set for normal. 

Now if you go to your sleep log you can edit a sleep record between normal and sensitive to compare. 

With the sensitive setting it will record every single movement as if you are awake, even that bounce when the cat jumps on the bed. 

See this post by @CallieM

Best Answer
0 Votes

image.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated with settings set to normal from Thursday on. So I'll ask again, is this bad? With the normal setting its counting times that I know I'm awake as being restless. That's why I changed from normal to sensitive a while back. But Thursday and on are under the normal setting. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there! I'd like to add something else to @Rich_Laue's excellent information.

Keep in mind that having an HR based tracker does have an impact on your sleep logs. Having your settings on "sensitive" or "normal" plays a big part on checking your restlessness. But there are some cases where your sleep may not be accurately logged with an HR based tracker. This can be for different reasons, one of them a high resting heart rate or trying to rest after an intense workout or a stressful situation, since it will take longer for your body to 'wind down' and recognize a sleeping pattern. 

I've been on that road; while I don't get to sleep much, on top of that my sleep is also affected by the state of mind I'm in before jumping in bed. 

HR based.PNG

Here are some tips that may help improve the quality of your sleep. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HelenaFitbit: where do you get the weekly report for sleep you posted? Or is this a Premium feature?

Gee, average sleep of 2h45m, I really feel for you! This is my sleep last night Smiley Happy

2016-09-06_1845.png 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique Yep, the 'times to bed/rise/fall asleep' and efficiency are a part of the Premium features on the Web Dashboard. 

You do get an average of your sleep time on the Fitbit App of your Mobile Device.  Here's an example of one of my old sleep logs. (Finals week at Uni! I'm sleeping even less now Smiley Sad)

IMG_20160620_201908.jpg

I am so jealous of your night's sleep! Even If I have time to sleep, I still can't do it more than 4-5 hours Smiley Sad

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think if you sleep less than 6 hours regularly - its a bad sign for the future health.. Im sleeping average 8 hours. To fall asleep around 17-20 min, simply cuz im using my fav 'Insight Timer' app with mediation Breathing into Sleep, 17 min. Sleeeping like a baby. bcz we need to learn how to relax, think about nothing, let go... and just breath. It helps. 

About restless, some nights around 15-20 times for me, but that means im moving from side to side maybe, turning around, im not really 100% awake. Actually scientifically proved that if you turn around 15-20 times each night its ok! Norm. 

sorry if any gram mistakes peeps. 

Good luck with your sleep

Best Answer

@Dominique holy wow!! I don't think I slept that well when I was a toddler.

@Jnadeau sleep patterns change. you will find that some weeks you sleep like Dominique and others like your illustration (I sleep that way too). It depends on how you wind down not just your body, but your mind. I have no trouble falling asleep but every night at 2, I wake up. Some nights I fall back to sleep no problem and others I can tell you every creak and crack the house made till I get up at 6. The true test is how you feel the next day and day after and so on. If you are tired and cranky- you are not getting enough sleep and you should look into natural ways to boost sleep. If you are energetic and moving through the day no problem, then your body knew what it was doing and you are good to go.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

you're not alone get checked for sleep apnea  I have that problem and I am restless and get about 3 to 4 hours sleep a night if I'm lucky

Best Answer

@emili wrote:

@Dominique holy wow!! I don't think I slept that well when I was a toddler.

I’m lucky in that I tend to fall asleep easily and sleep well. I used to snore (and probably have some kind of sleep apnea), but that stopped after I lost weight (75 to 65 kg). In fact, improvement in sleep quality was likely the biggest benefit of my weight loss (amazing how just 10 kg can make such a big difference). Now the main challenge for me in terms of sleep is my growing prostate (I’m sure other older guys can relate): I must remember to stop drinking after 6-8pm, otherwise I’ll probably need to take a trip to the bathroom once or twice during the night. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

That's what my sleep looks like!

@Jnadeau wrote:

image.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow! You sleep pretty well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do meditation before sleep, and can fall asleep almost instantly, but staying asleep is not happening!

Best Answer

I have the same problem - though I knew I slept badly. I have sleep apnea - supposed to wear a CPAC but end up taking it off and throwing it on the floor and turning the machine off in the little sleep I do get.  I have been averaging about 3 to 4 hours sleep a night.  Just got my second night sleep with 5 hours---am thrilled beyond words.   Would just love to get more.  I work part-time and am 72 years old and not in the best of health so a little more sleep would be wonderful.  But keep as active as you can.  That's what I do.  Keep moving as much as possible  I have had 8 surgeries on my back supposed to be in a wheelchair according to Drs. 40 years ago--didn't happen yet.  4th great-grandchild on it's way and Nana still plugging away!!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Charge 2 has Relax - a new on-device guided breathing feature.  It helps to relax your body and mind while in bed.  See link below for more info.

https://blog.fitbit.com/heres-why-youll-love-fitbits-new-guided-breathing-experience/

Charge 2; Aria; Developer of www.wellnessbear.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

I hear you--fall a sleep sleep maybe an hour hour and a half wake up.  back to sleep awake in a half hour then back to sleep then maybe somewhere around morning a stretch of another hours sleep ---whee --- lucky me ---I am so refreshed  NOT

Best Answer
0 Votes

There has been a study or two on "sleep insomnia" - where you fall asleep easily, but wake up after 3-4 hours. The study suggested that this was a normal pattern for our ancestors - checking on the fire, security type stuff. How they reached this conclusion is anyone's guess. When I find the link, I'll share it. 

I have been struggling with sleep for...the past two years, really. I think it's when I went from working in a kitchen to sitting behind a desk. Before, I could look at my job and although I'd be broke all the time (still enough to pay the bills), I always had energy and slept like a baby. Which was good, because my job required that. Now, I wake up after 4 hours, wide awake. So, I just get up and exercise and start my day. Going back to bed after an hour is ridiculous, as I'd have to get up in another couple of hours. I did that once and woke up exhausted. 

Part of me feels like the inactive day is having more of an impact on my than I think, but the other part says it's all in my head. And yet, a third part says both parts are right. A fourth part says I have too many personalities. (I am kidding - I do not need a straight jacket!) 

The weird thing is that it's not my bladder waking me up. If it were, I promise, I'd just wet the bed to sleep more than 4 hours! I'm kidding again! 

I've tried going to bed later, to time my awakening to the last possible moment - and even on weekends, I get up 4 hours after I go to bed. If I go to bed at 9pm, I'll get up at 1am. If I go to bed at midnight, I'll get up at 4am. 

I function okay during the day - but after lunch, I am yawning all the time. Drives me insane. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes

couldn't agree more

Best Answer
0 Votes